colonoscopy anxiety

Posted , 11 users are following.

hi , i am being referred for this but having known nothing about it, i've looked stuff up on line and now i am feeling very anxious! ignorance is definately bliss if you're a worrier!! can any one out there put my mind at ease please? i am worried how the prep stuff will affect me - do you really need to stay chained to the loo all day and night? i won't be able to have sedation as i'll need to drive, as i am a full time single parent and carer. i'm too mortified and embarrassed to ask for friends to step in and help me out! is it an ok thing to go to alone? thank you

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Flower!  You are making things VERY difficult for yourself!  Why on earth can you not have someone pick you up aftewards and take the sedation you might need? I am afraid the prep will keep you chained to a loo - or that is how it was for me! LOADS of us have had this procedure - I don't understand why you would be mortified to ask a friend to pick you up. You can go on your own if you are ONLY having pain relief.  At the end of the day, it is up to you.  I would strongly advise that you have someone pick you up at the end of the procedure.  It's just nce to have a friendly face at the end of the event.  Best of luck. Jane

• Posted

Hi mummymayhem,

I think everyone will be different. I found the prep slow to work when I had a lower endoscopy. In fact I started to worry it wasn't going to work, but eventually it did. Also, the day I had this done I also had an upper endoscopy, I did not have sedation, but found the lower one to be better than the upper one.  The important thing is to try not to worry, it will only be for a short time. Hope all goes well for you. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.