Colonoscopy appointment

Posted , 9 users are following.

I have to just been given an appointment for a colonoscopy this Saturday and on the phone the person asked if I needed sedating which I said no. Now I'm just checking as I haven't had one of these before if this is the right thing to do? I've heard they are pretty painful especially if you go into spasm which I do. 

Any advice would be great thank you =)

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi RachRoux,

I see it's getting close to your appt. and you've probably got going with the diet etc.

Just wanted to say it isn't agonising just can be uncomfortable (I have a 'difficult' bowel lucky me !!)

Concentrate on the fact that this procedure can be a lifesaver.

Hope all goes well for you on Sat.  It's all over within an hour anyway so just look forward to some really great food aferwards !

Let us know how you get on.  

best wishes   j  x

• Posted

Hi Jessie,

I'm feeling positive about it I have my eye on the meal on Saturday night haha. I know its all totally worth it. I've been given moviprep and cosmocol wont be starting the moviprep until tomorrow. I'm just eating a low fibre diet my prep diet didn't really say to start much until tomorrow but I've been sticking to low fibre light meals just incase.

Will let you know how things go Xx

• Posted

Hi, it all went okay and the results came back clear which is great =) It was a uncomfortable but the gas and air and fentanyl helped a lot it was just at certain points where he moved around bends.

I am now however finding it really hard to eat I have absolutely no appetite and actually feel really sick if I do eat. I am managing water and can tolerate tea and coffee I have also been trying to sip an energy drink. I tend to get real bad headaches when I go without food and they are getting worse. Is this normal after a colonoscopy and how long does it last if so? Thanks a lot Xx

• Posted

Hi

Glad it went well...i must say i never had any of the symptoms you describe following my colonoscopies. In fact i had no after effects at all except for a bloated feeling for a few hours. The scope goes just into your large bowel and not your stomach so the feelings you have might be psychological... after your traumatic experience and the worry beforehand (the mind is a powerful and can make you feel all sorts of physical symptoms). I`m sure things will settle down in a couple of days...if not consult your family doctor or the hospital dept where you had the procedure done...regards

• Posted

no there is no pain under sedation i went to sleep regards john

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.