Colonoscopy booked this week scared

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi I'm Charlie I'm 22

Been having flat stools with blood occasionally,quite bad stomach pain feels just like trapped wind tho but hurts when I move,really scared it cancer

Had a private consontation yesterday the doctor was really nice and very knowledgable,well he should epsically at £250 for a 15 minute chat he's resured me that cancer is not even in the question but obv can't say 100 percent u till he sees but said he would be extremely surspised

So I've got a colonoscopy booked next Friday and I'm scared,doesn't sound like a nice op,can anybody comment on there experience thanks

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hello Charlie don't worry I know that's easier said then done but i am here to tell you theres nothing to it. Piece of cake!!! I've had 2 of them and its a very quick and simple procedure completely painless and you won't feel any different afterward. Best part is finding the problem. But honestly don't sweat it. Hope this helps.

• Posted

£250 for an initial appointment is expensive. The most I’ve ever paid was £180 and that was for a good half hour. How much are they charging for the procedure ? 

It was no problem pain wise when I had one and I said that I didn’t want any sedation. I just swore about four times when they went round an awkward bit or from trapped wind. Watch it on the screen and ask questions. They are very reassuring and put you at ease when doing it and a nurse will hold your hand.

The problem part is before it from the laxative as that can be painful. Stock up on toilet paper and wipes and stay very close to the toilet as once you go it can be nonstop for several hours. 

Make sure you stick to the bland diet they advise and drink plenty of water to avoid dehydration. I had intended to get up early to drink water but woke up to late to do it and had to dash to get there in time. 

Good luck with the results.

• Posted

Hi derek and the colonoscopy is £1400

But it's by dr Neil gallety he's 5 star rating on every private medical website so basically he's really knows his stuff

Just scared it's cancer everyone's reassuring it isn't but I just don't feel right but just gotta pray I guess

• Posted

He will not get that much out of it as there are others to pay and the hospital take the major share.

I had a small cardiac procedure privately in April where the cost breakdown was £7103 for the hospital although that included the cost of the device fitted and there were about five theatre staff. £1500 for the cardiologist and £800 for the anaesthetist.

When I had my colonoscopy as an NHS patient at a private hospital there must have been about five of them there.It is quite labour intensive.

Do let us know how you get on.

• Posted

Everyone has cancer worries. I had constant, daily stomach pain with nausea and change of bowel habit.  I googled too much because no one could give me answers after three months of negative tests.  Everyone resssured me it wasn't cancer but couldn't tell me what it was so I panicked instead.  Eventually, a good doctor diagnosed me with IBS.

Passing blood could be because of haemorrhoids or fissures especially if the blood is bright red.  At your age, cancer would be extremely rare.

• Posted

Hi

You will be fine - trust what the doctor says, I've had flat and thin stools for 8 months still have it and had a colonoscopy in may and they found nothing

Try not to stress and the results will ease your mind

Cheers

• Posted

Hi Rhonda

And yeah just hard just really convinced myself that I'm ill and got cancer of the bowel so stressed out about it just the constant bloating and mushy soft then flat stools that worry me

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.