Colonoscopy...done!

Posted , 8 users are following.

I was very nervous about this procedure and had read of other people's experiences here, many had suffered a painful colonoscopy. This is an honest report of my procedure and

I hope it helps anyone else worrying about having it done. At my pre-assessment appointment I

was advised to have sedation due to my high anxiety (BP was 197/94) and I am glad I decided on this option. On the day of the colonoscopy: after going through the paperwork then changing into my gown, a nurse walked with me into the procedure room and I was asked to lie on the bed, the consultant put a cannula for the IV into my arm, the anesthetist put the BP cuff on my other arm

and a pulse monitor on my finger, the nurse was waiting to put an oxygen mask on my face, the

consultant then administered the drugs (3mg Midazolam, 25mg Pethidine). I recall saying to the nurse that I could feel a taste coming up into my throat (the drugs) and from that moment nothing more. The only recollection I have was hearing myself groaning in pain a few times and I'm sure I heard the consultant say 'sedation'. In recovery later I was told by the nurse that the pain was the camera going round the bends. My report says 'The scope was retroflexed in the rectum, I have

looked up this terminology and it states that "Extreme care should be used when performing

such a manoeuvre and it should be stopped if there are any signs of resistance or discomfort to the patient ". I am glad I chose sedation despite the fact I did suffer some pain, also glad I went

through with the procedure. Thankfully, my rectal bleeding has been diagnosed as internal

haemorrhoids. I would tell anyone having worries about this procedure that it is not as bad as the horror stories make it out to be.

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

it is over a year since my colonoscopy. the day following I had total loss of control of my bowel.

this was totally new to me. even now I have some anal leakage.. after much investigation, my gastro

discovered I had a weak sphincter muscle. it seems the only solution for this is bio-feedback,

[exercise].

what amazes me is, I had absolutely NO problem at all before the colonoscopy. could a muscle have

been disturbed during the procedure?

• Posted

I am so sorry you had that experience. I would actually have considered malpractice action. You seem relatively accepting. I wi sh you the best.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.