Colonoscopy done today

Posted , 9 users are following.

Had my colonoscopy this morning ...so glad that’s over!! But now I feel so weak and can feel the usual pain in lower left side 😟.  Most I have gone in past three months is 1/2 a day of no pain for a total of three days.  Results of colonoscopy said “several diverticula with mixed openings in descending colon and sigmoid colon. Diverticulosis if moderate severity.”  One small polyp removes and small internal hemroids”.    My question I guess.....can this pain be here forever ???  Am I just one of the unlucky 10% who suffer all the time ?  What does “moderate severity” mean? Just so depressed 😢

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Well done, don't be upset at least there was nothing more sinister in there, which must be every bodies fear just before a colonoscopy, I'm due to have one soon and am absolutely petrified because I have been in so much pain for past six weeks and like you lucky if I get a half day pain free now and then, take heart you will feel better now that your colon is totally cleaned out

• Posted

Hi I believe the levels of severity is low moderate and severe Sounds like yours is in the middle Be careful what you eat food causes bloating and if you have had a recent flare up it will take some time for the inflammation to subdue Walking even small amounts if possible may help Ask your doctor what else you can do to control pain Mine said Tylenol although it doesn't seem to help Are you taking probiotics? I was just diagnosed 2 months ago and have had last 2 days about half of the pain Good luck also heating pad made pain worse but works for most

• Posted

Hi

I had my colonoscopy exactly a year ago . I found it an awful procedure but glad nothing sinister was found except severe diverticular disease. it did take a few weeks to get used to the diet and change a few things . The foodnincan never eat again is Red Meat. I thought I was going to die with the pain. I took laxative sachets from the doctor every day for months , but I don't now. It will get better and wish you well. This forum is very good for all sorts of advice . Dawn

• Posted

Hi hbb... as with the others below my spin is that your colon doesn't sound too bad? My experience suggests the most important thing is not to ever let yourself get constipated as hard stools cause the muscles to have to work more and puts more pressure on the diverticula and so is much more painful. Thus, make sure you drink enough water each day (1.5 - 2 Litres seems about right for me)  eat enough veg etc. Red meat isn't great as it tends to travel down the colon more slowly, therefore has more time to lose water and so ends up harder at the output. 

Keep positive and experiment with your diet - you should be able to get it to a place where the pain is tractable or even goes away. I cant say I'm ever completely free of any 'sensation', but provided I stick to my own advise it isnt too bad much of the time (in my case tends to hurt the most just prior to BMs).

Best of luck! 

James  

• Posted

I am glad your colonoscopy turned out well. You now know its nothing really serious though DD is nothing to sneeze at. My first attack started after my first colonoscopy. If I had to do then what I know now I would stay away from my trigger foods and eat small light meals to begin since you are litterally empty.
  • Posted

Sounds like you have a decent outcome. I still await my camera procedure after  one off diverticular spasm which cleared with flagyl. Have changed diet since then and found this helpful. No dairy, fats etc. And lots of fish and chicken with plain veg, mash. I think diet has a lot to do with it and if you can eliminate all triggers you wil be fine.  Also avoid constipation too.  I wish you well.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.