Colonoscopy done today but only inflammation

Posted , 3 users are following.

I got my colonoscopy done and was told I had inflammation but didn't say it was IBD. My tummy hurts super bad and I went from being so hungry when I went in too not even being able to eat. They took a biopsy of the inflammation but what want to know is what exactly can they find on a biopsy of inflamed colon??

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Sarah, sorry to hear you're going through a rough time.

?I'm not an expert and my experience is for around the small and large bowel...but the reason for viewing the various areas of the digestive tract and taking biopsies is to look for active signs of inflammation/ulceration, or signs there has been some previously e.g. thickening of the bowel wall or scarring.

?The Doctor will always want to rule out the more severe areas that could have an immediate impact on health but I believe it can also show any bacterial issues (e.g. H Pylori in the large or small bowel) and, if there's ulceration, identify the type of ulceration to aid diagnosis.

?Try not to ponder it too much if you can. Stress never helps gastro issues and it can become so easy to lose overall context when you're feeling so poorly and not eating right. I'm sure you gastroenterlogist will have some answers - especially given there's some really clear and visible signs of an issue. Good luck.

Matt

• Posted

Thank you so much Matt for your reply, just knowing what the reason for a biopsy helps me not stress out.. 😊

• Posted

Glad I could help a little. It's not unusual for gastrointestinal diagnosis to take quite some time with further testing etc - so don't be alarmed or worried if that happens. It's normal! smile

• Posted

I haven't gotten my results back in yet, but my pain from colonoscopy is gone but sill have pain that has been there for ever it seems above my belly button. I'm wondering if my nausea every morning and random stomach pains are from gas. 🤷🏻???

• Posted

Good to hear your colonoscopy went OK. It can be really difficult to tell symptoms of indigestion/reflux from IBS from IBD.

I definitely recommend Gaviscon advance - you can only buy it over the counter. It works very well with indigestion or if you get sore throats/coughs/headaches from acid hitting your throat and sinuses. Give it a go - might help to better understand your symptoms, and that's always a good thing smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.