Colonoscopy due after symptoms of Bowel Cancer. 31 years old, Male and frightened beyond belief.

Posted , 6 users are following.

A few months ago, I started seeing bright red streaks of blood when on my stools.  Passing it off as piles (as other symptoms were also present) I didn’t take it that seriously.

The bleeding has persisted and I spoke to a Doctor who was quite sure that ‘piles’ was the issue.

However, for the last few days I’ve also been suffering with a stomach ache that feels relatively sore on the lower part of my abdomen.  

As such, I saw my doctor again and she sent me to A&E where I had a consultation with a surgeon.  He believed that the blood was possibly piles or a tear and the pain in my stomach was probably due to stress and worry or another issue but that it was unlikely (due to my age) that it was cancer or anything particularly serious.

He carried out an investigation, felt my stomach and (not for a better term) ‘probed me with a finger’ and again, didn’t seem too concerned.  Bloods came back fine and a urine sample was also fine.

However, he has recommended a colonoscopy!  I’m not so worried about the procedure as I am the potential result.

I cannot get this out of my head and I honestly feel like I’ve already been diagnosed with the worst possible diagnosis to a point where I’m not sleeping, I’m constantly in a state of worry and fear and I don’t know how to shake this. 

The colonoscopy is within four weeks or so and I don’t know what to do.

I know there are so many people on this forum with confirmation results and others in a much worse position than myself currently, but I guess I need some reassurance. 

My wife is putting on a brave front but can also see the panic in my face so it’s inevitably eating away at her, as it is me. 

Would be great to speak to anyone who might be able to help. 

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi joe

The colonoscopy will show nothing I imagine -maybe just piles as was quoted by your doc-

I have had the 'camera' too- it isn't pleasant but is necessary- Once you have had it you will feel more relaxed and at ease-I doubt if you have cancer  -If they ask you if you want sedation say yes"

You should take someone with you as may not be able to drive for a while after with sedation.

Good Luck

I have another 'camera' test to look forward to in 2019- I don't imagine I'll be looking forward to that.

(I am in my 70's)!

Keep us up to speed.

Susan

• Posted

Barring the streaks of blood I'm in a similar position 

Is you pain lower left?

Everyone tells me its IBS and they suggested I could wait 8 weeks and have a colonoscopy on the NHS...the thought of waiting with this for 8 weeks..I don't think I could mentally cope..I'm already a bag of nerves. 

I've paid privately and I'm having my..camera fun time this wednesday afternoon..I am absolutely bricking it (I don't think I even need the prep the way I feel!) 

Are you having constipation or large stools? that could cause the blood. I know I've got a...I can't remember what the consultant called it "something like an external hemorrhoid" that can really hurt without a stool softener to the point I expect blood from it (I had something similiar with bloody streaks 8 years ago) 

I'm also 32 and I think doctors and people are just shrugging anything serious off because of my age. when I paid privately to see a consultant..his first question was my age. I do wonder if I was in my 50's it would have gone differently..

• Posted

Hi John,

Sorry to hear that you’re going through the same sort of thing. 

My pain is more on the right hand side but when I press down on my lower part of my abdomen, it feels like a bad case of wind which it does seem to create.  BUT I’ve have that permanently for over a week now. 

My stools are quite soft but sometimes vary and are a normal colour, if not slightly light in colour.  It’s just that they have bright red streaks over them.

I too have had to go private and have another consultation on Tuesday night with an anticipated Colonoscopy on May 4th after speaking with Bupa on demand, this morning.  Still two weeks away and I was up until 3am this morning reading so much.  I just can’t shake the thought. 

I too have symptoms of piles but the pain in my stomach isn’t a symptom of that. 

I’m praying it’s all okay. 

Keep me posted though about how it went and what the results are bud.  I’m sure you’ll be fine mate. 

• Posted

Hi Joe

I had my colonoscopy this afternoon, I won't lie the whole rolling up to the hospital and waiting for the nurse/doing all the pre forms and stuff..I was literally shaking like a leaf. The most I've ever had at a hospital before was an x-ray so..this felt like quite a step up.

I walked into the operating theatre in my stylish paper pants (with the hole in) ..laid on the bed, was given the needle in the hand so they could administer oxygen and something to prevent nausea (because I hadn't ate for 32hrs) ..then seconds later I woke up and it was done (I did not think they were putting me under?!) 

He said everything looked fine/no abnormalities but hes taken a biopsy just incase theres something microscopic and to go see him again in 6 weeks. 

Then I went back to the room and ordered everything off the menu! (got to get your moneys worth going private!) Was a little bit tipsy/out of it for a while..was a few hours ago now and It's nearly gone. Still got quite a lot of bloating/gassy feeling and I'm a bit worried to use the bathroom but apart from that I feel fine. 

Certainly feeling quite relieved now its over but a little bewildered because I still have my ache/pain! But I guess I can tackle that..at a later date! I hope your colonoscopy goes as smooth as mine, its terrifying ..but really is easy...but like everyone says - the prep is the worst bit (and to be fair it wasnt that bad..just something you don't really want to repeat if possible!) 

• Posted

John thank you for sharing your good news now you can rest your mind you got to wear paper pants and order food that's great I was in a robe and socks a robe with that opening in the back and got animal crackers and sprite nothing for nauseous I'm glad they took good care of you

• Posted

Joe the initial procedure isn't bad please don't panic as your age is a good thing it would be rare for cancer I'm not a doctor but once you have the scope you will have answers keep us posted

• Posted

Thanks Tonie, I will update the forum once I've had my results back. 

• Posted

You sound like me but please don't Google as I have I've got my self in such a panic I've convinced myself I have pancreatic cancer pleas don't do that to yourself it makes life rough most people on this forum don't get bad news but at least you will be able to ease your mind sincerely tonie

• Posted

As someone who has had bowel cancer perhaps I could ease your mind a little.  Your symptoms do not look like cancer, any blood is usually within the stool rather than on it and it is not usually bright red.  A significant symptom of bowel cancer is sudden and unexpected weight loss - I went from 12 stone to 10 stone quite rapidly (unfortunately, I didn't pick this up as symptom of cancer because I was actually trying to lose weight and was congratulating myself on my success!)

What usually causes most concern for people is the question 'what if it is cancer?' and it is the fear of this being the case that tends to dominate the mind. Every case is different but the general rule is that if it is caught reasonably early then treatment is very effective.  In my case, the cancer was quite well advanced by the time it was diagnosed but here I am, four years after the diagnosis and thriving (and back up to 12 stone, sadly!)  It is human nature to consider the worst case scenario but I hope I have helped you to realise that the worst case, unlikely as it might be in your case, is not really as bad as you might think.  By the way, I was 77 when diagnosed.

• Posted

I am also 31 years old and went through exactly what you are going through earlier this year. I had bleeding, mucus... a few other things that scared the heck out of me. Suddenly I was reading about all these people my age getting colon cancer, how it's becoming much more common now. After waiting 3 months I finally had a colonoscopy done.. the Gastro who did it said before my procedure he expected to find nothing based on what I told him. Colon cancer usually presents as anemia, weight loss, pencil thin stools, night sweats... rarely from superficial blood on the stool. I'm not saying never, but rarely (this is from doctors, not me.) You should have a colonoscopy because the source of your symptoms has not been found but please do not jump on the cancer bandwagon. Good luck!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.