Colonoscopy experience (no sedation)

Posted , 4 users are following.

Disclaimer : everyone experiences pain differently and I don’t want to cause alarm to people waiting for a colonoscopy .

So my colonoscopy wasn’t a positive experience at all .The moviprep was absolutely vile , I recommend diluting it even further than instructed as you end up dehydrated anyways regardless of the enormous quantity you have to swallow and it is very sickly sweet and salty. I am very thin at 8&1/2 stone so don’t believe the whole 2 litres was required as it made me so unbelievably ill on my second jug full that I was vomiting hours later  and lay on the bathroom floor the whole day leading up to the colonoscopy (honestly couldn’t move ) 

So as far as the procedure is concerned , the nurse told me I cannot have sedation as I had been vomiting ,I agreed this was fine and didn’t want it anyway as I am terrified of canulas , she said “perfect scenario then ”

So I get into the exam room and the doctor says we need to do sedation this is very uncomfortable(confusing) , I tried but even the tornequay made me want to pass out so I said no and we went ahead , no gas and air was offered even though my letters said it would be an option .

He shoved the camera into me without warning and seemed very annoyed at me that I wasn’t having sedation . The air being pumped to straighten the creases was very painful and I have had quite a lot of procedures  in my life , they luckily managed to have a look at the entire colon because at the last minute I was screaming no more , all in all it was in for 5 minutes and done with biopsies that are kind of like an electric shock feeling (not painful just weird and I could only feel the rectal biopsies )

Pros to having no sedation : no canula and short waiting time in recovery got to go home after a cup of tea. You could also drive yourself if you wanted (with a plastic bag to sit on just incase you ruin your seats !)

Cons: 9/10 pain when they pumped the air (they do this about five times as they go around the bowel) 

All I’m all I would say go for it and get it done you really can’t beat piece of mind but if your not afraid of needles and canulas then go for the sedation definitely.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Agreed. I had mild sedation and was completely aware and chatty the whole time. Some discomfort but bearable and short. I was ok afterwards and just needed to have a sleep when I got home. BUT, I had surgery before I had a colonoscopy, They were routine checks, and my bowel was much shorter than normal. I'm sorry you had a bad experience. 

• Posted

I had my very first one done in May and I never had any pain after that people are different though I did however experience dizzy headedness and the room spinning but the next day it wore off that was the only thing I had from that but other that I didn't remember anything after it was done.

• Posted

I had my first colonoscopy in June. I had Moviprep one the day before and one on the morning of the colonoscopy. I drank the first litre ok but the following day I could only drink about 600mls as it was making me feel sick. I followed all the rules on diet before so my colon was pretty clear (first time I received an excellent from anyone)

I was lucky enough to have gas and air available (I was travelling by public transport) thankfully I only needed 5 or 6 mouthfuls. I felt the deeper the camera went in the more pain I felt. 

I didn’t feel any of the biopsies they took and after having coffee and a sandwich I was allowed to leave (within 30 mins of the procedure). The only thing I had difficulty with was reading things, it was all blurry but luckily wore off within 30 mins.

Like you I would definitely advise people to have one done if advised to as they could be a lifesaver for some people.

Sorry about the essay 😔

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.