colonoscopy fasting diet

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi

Can somebody tell me if it is ok to have Marmite in hot water   or oxo stock cube "soup" the day before a colonoscopy as part of the `clear liquid diet.

Any tips how to cope with nausea due hunger and to much liquid also welcome.

Thanks

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I live in Southern California so I don't know what Marmite or oxo stock cube is. I lost my appetite a few months and lost a ton of weight prior to having my colonoscopy. My wife gave me clear chicken broth and I could eat as much jello as I wanted. But I really didn't want anything, so I had no issues with the no eating/no drinking.

• Posted

Yes, oxo and marmite both fine. 

My technique to get the liquid down was this:

Mix, pour some into a small glass so that it's not over facing, and drink sips through a straw whilst holding your nose. Then immediately drink a little diluted elderflower water, followed by a suck of some barley sugar.

For 'the other end'- use a baby barrier cream right from the start and your bottom won't get sore.Also clean yourself with unfragranced baby wipes.

Personally, I gave myself a good week totally off red meat leading up to it. Just soup and bread for that week before really. Was so glad I did as it made the prep a piece of cake.

Don't panic and good luck x

• Posted

I find peppermint tea good for a queasy tummy.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.