Colonoscopy fears

Posted , 5 users are following.

I went for a colonoscopy in May, I can't emphasise enough how scared I was, I even considered cancelling.  However, I went ahead, I found it daunting and vowed I would never go through the experience again.  Worse, was to come, they found rectal cancer.  Radiotherapy treatment followed swiftly, and surgery soon after.  I was discharged from hospital two weeks ago, and have just had a follow up appointment.  I have the all clear, no more cancer, and no further treatment.  I hated the colonoscopy, but this was the only way to detect early cancer.  I say to anyone who is about to go through the same, just go for it, it could save your life!  I have to have another colonoscopy in a years time, not a prospect I am looking forward to,  but if it detects any nasties that can be dealt with early, then I will do it.  I really hope my story will help anyone with the same fears.

Margaret

2 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Wow! Thanks for sharing this Margaret. It really puts things into perspective. Glad everything turned out ok. I hope people read this and not put off any investigative procedure.

Babs

• Posted

Yes, Margaret, I had a neighbor who ended up having to have colon surgery, and he told me that although the Coloscopy was uncomfortable (just the day before) it was far preferable to having to go through what he had to with the chemo, radiation, and of course the incision. That encouraged me to down the liquids the day before, spend the entire day in the bathroom, but the actual colonoscopy was nothing, I was totally out on proponal, and didn't know what happened, and the doctor removed a polyp that was benign, and now I have to go back in three years! No problems at all!!  Congratulations to you Margaret on your decision and best wishes on your recovery!!
  • Posted

To Margaret91698 From Robert58159.                                                                          Very happy to hear that everything has gone so well for you.                                         I am waiting for the result of my own Colonoscopy and reading your.                                 Letter has made me feel a lot better about everything good luck                                       For the future.                               

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.