Colonoscopy feedback

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hello I thought I would provide some feedback on my colonoscopy as I read through a lot of forums before my colonoscopy which had a lot of mixed reviews and left me feeling nervous. I was extremely anxious and worried about every aspect from the preparation, to being sedated to wondering how painful it was going to be! Honestly I would say that all that worrying was silly and irrational and the whole process was absolutely fine and pain free. I would happily have the procedure again although not eating was the hardest part!

Firstly the Senna pills we're absolutely fine. I took these at 4pm after having a very restricted diet for 2 days before. The 10 Senna tablets seemed a lot to be taking and as a person who doesn't like taking lots of pills this was fine and I felt nothing after just a bit hungry.

Then at 5pm I took my first sachet of citramag which after hearing all the reviews about how horrible it was to drink I thought it was actually quite tasty! It was lemon / line flavour and I drank it very slowly. All I experienced after drinking the mixture was my stomach making funny noises! I then took my second 1/2 sachet at 6pm which again was fine. I then needed the loo and went a few times. I didn't feel uncomfortable the only thing that was sore was my bottom which I kept putting vasaline on and that helped a lot. Then throughtout the night I needed the loo and then it stopped but I felt absolutely fine throughout the preparation

and kept telling myself this is all necessary.

In the morning I took another 1/2 sachet at 9am and then needed the loo up until I was due to have my colonoscopy at 3pm. Once I arrived at hospital I was empty and hungry! The hospital were very welcoming and when I got into the room I said to the nurses that I was nervous about the sedation they said that they would stay with me the whole way through. As soon as I was given the sedation I was aware of everything going on. I had a mask with some oxygen which I just breathed deeply into and I looked at the screen so I could see the procedure and found it fascinating. I honestly had been so nervous before and I didn't feel anything during the whole procedure. It took 15 mins and when they finished I said is that it?! I just felt sleepy afterwards but couldn't believe how easy it had all been. I would definitely recommend having a sedation if you're contemplating it. I didn't need to be put to sleep as it was such a quick procedure.

For those of you that are worried about this it is honestly fine and it's necessary. I had a small biopsy taken as well which was good and came back clear but I would definitely advise having it. Good luck you will be absolutely fine smile

0 likes, 25 replies

25 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Same experience here; no sedation, no pain and wonderful support from the nurses. Laxative prep was the worst part, but eating afterwards was a delight!
  • Posted

Hi,

I just had my first colonoscopy on the 19th of February and they too found 3 small polyps which they removed too.

They found the first one near the beginning and then they found the other 2 at the second left turn and they were right next to each other. Sent those to the lab and no cancer.

As you stated it's a needed procedure and to me after it was done, I realized it really wasn't that big of a deal.

My wife needs to get hers done because she 2 1/2 years past due, so I'm getting impatient for her to get it done and behind her.

I was more concerned about the modesty part, but the nurses were understanding and they were explaining that there would just be my doctor and my anatheseologist and two female tech nurses and the room was small and not really brightly lit.

Glad it's done and don't have to do another 5 years.

• Posted

I am happy to hear of everyone's positive experiences.  I also realize that many who post, do so because of traumatic experiences.

I live in the US, and experienced a truly painful sigmoidoscopy some 15 years ago.  No sedation as it was considered totally unnecessary as I was advised.  After the doctor completed the torture and left the exam room, the nurse told me that I should definitely have been sedated.  So it just wasn't what I felt, obviously, but what was observed, and since the attending nurses are more focused on the patient's experience, studies have clearly measured that the nurses are more cognizant of what is being experienced by the patient, than the doctor, who is busy looking at that scope device.

I have since that time (I am now 65) cringed every time I have a doctor's appointment and  hear the "need" for a colonoscopy, and I always refuse related to my past memory, which is similar to PTSD, which I have also been diagnosed with for other reasons.

I feel fortunate that I have absolutely zero family history of colon cancer, and that I do have not have the risk factors associated with colon cancer (as I never smoked, also eat very little red meat, very active, not overweight, etc).  Yes, there is always a risk of cancer, but given that I have also had two episodes of traumatic brain injury, and significant history of Alzeheimer's in my family, I feel the risks from the colonoscopy procedure itself, plus the increased risk to me from the sedatives or anesthetic agents are a larger risk than colon cancer for me. 

Over the last year, I have done a lot of research from credible sources about risks and benefits of screening test.  Although some 90% of people do fine with versed/midazolem, I feel that my previous neurological challenges are a greater threat than that of cancer.  Plus, it took me over 10 years to recover as well as I have after my last brain injury.  I don't see the risks of propofol or versed as just a "rare" chance of an adverse effect as something I want to risk.  And my last sigmoidoscopy event was nothing I want repeated, and a colonoscopy is far more invasive both prep-wise and procedure-wise.

As I also worked in health care for over two decades and know how to read research summaries (as I did so as part of a master's degree program), I do my own research, as my past traumatic "screening procedure" definitely revealed to me that I cannot really trust medical professionals to be honest.   That trust factor is lost forever for me.

Everyone has to make their own choice based on their own risks.  I've made mine, and I know that I am one deciding which risks I am willing to live with.

Again, I am happy to hear of positive experiences, but I also know from my own experience, and my research, that moderate to severe pain occurs far too frequently for various reasons (starting before the meds take effect, too low of a dose, doctor's lack of experience or the doctor is too rushed, the presence of ulcerative colitis, etc), and I choose to not go there.

• Posted

Sorry you had such a bad experience and it is useful to know the good and the bad in order to make an informed decision.

I certainly would not have had the colonoscopy just for screening purposes without clear symptoms of suspected colon cancer.

The points you raise are all important considerations - sedation, the expertise of the colonoscopist, pre-existing bowel conditions and predictors like life style and family history.

All considered, your decision not to have another is understandable and seems wise.

• Posted

thank you, you sound a lot like me, glad it went ok, and all was clear :-)

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.