Colonoscopy follow-up by phone

Posted , 3 users are following.

I had a colonoscopy on 24th March with 2 small flat polyps removed and biopsies to test for microscopic colitis. I was told at the time all looked basically fine. Since then I have had a follow up appointment sent through for middle of July and have been notified that my results will come on 21st April. Yesterday I had an email saying I had a phone follow-up booked for 18th April. What does this mean? Not sure how to interptet this.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Phone your doctor to clarify this; you are being told a lot of conflicting information. Your doctor will interpret everything for you. I would be confused by this too.

• Posted

Thanks. I rang the hospital appointment number and queried why I had not had a letter or explanation with the electronic notes on 'Patients Know Best'. The guy said I should really have had a letter and told me what to expect re timings and who would ring. He thinks the consultant is working late and that is why I have a 20.10 appointment. All very odd and I can't help worrying.

• Posted

Phone the hospital again and emphasize that you are worrying and ask for the appointment to be brought forward. You may be able to get a cancellation appointment. Try to keep calm because worrying can make gut problems worse.

• Posted

The call was supposed to have been this evening. No one rang. Not good when you are already worried about why they are ringing! Will chase tomorrow if the lines are open.

• Posted

Phone as early as possible to ensure you get someone to help you.

• Posted

hope you've had the phone call by now, however if you've not, try not to worry, the NHS is trying to cut down on face to face follow up appointments by having telephone follow up appointments instead.

• Posted

Thanks. I have not been able to get hold of anyone due to the bank holiday but the biopsy results came through electronically on Patients Know Best. As far as I can understand the polyps were both non malignant low risk. I just need to understand what it means when the random biopsies and polyps were all described as friable macroscopically.

Hopefully someone will call me back after the messages I left on Friday. overall good news though.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.