Colonoscopy in two days!

Posted , 6 users are following.

I am having a colonoscopy in two days and today I started eating light and white. Tomorrow I will take my prep at 6.30pm and I have to take picolax. I will report back tomorrow after I have taken it and will report back after the colonoscopy too.

I am quite nervous about it so I will share my experience with others who are about to go through the same thing so you know what to expect!!😬

1 like, 59 replies

59 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Thanks for doing so. Tomorrow week have my pre op then a week later actual colonoscopy. So scared I haven't slept in weeks .... Good luck xx
    • Posted

Hello Ella,

Yes me neither, it's been making me feel quite ill thinking about it. I will put another post on tomorrow after my drink! Don't worry too much x

• Posted

Ok quick update.

Took the prep called Picolax. 150ml so not much at all. It tasted slightly sherberty, absolutely fine! Took it at 6.30pm and waiting till 9.30pm and nothing was happening so had a few sips of black coffee and that did the trick. Will report back tomorrow after my procedure!!!

• Posted

Well I had my procedure.

I had 1mg of midazolam and 10 mg of fentynal. It wasn't painful but more like strong cramps at times. It took 25 minutes.

I didn't feel anything at all from the sedation and was totally awake and watched it all.

I have proctitis and had a 9mm polyp taken away so I'm glad I went through with it. Results in 2 weeks. He said it didn't look cancerous. I feel so much better from having it done, and now my questions have been answered, finally!!!xx

• Posted

I was very nervous. Just hoping my results are ok now! Bleeding a bit from all the biopsies though.
    • Posted

Glad to hear it went well. Hope I can say the same thing. 2 weeks to go.
    • Posted

So glad the procedure was okay for you get some rest you are probably tired I know I slept once I got home. Fingers crossed the results are nothing too bad. The waiting game is the worst part I have found xx
    • Posted

Yes I think I'm going to go to sleep now. I'm just so glad I went through with it as it could of got a lot worse! Let me know what your results are, I'll do the same!!xx
    • Posted

Just focus on the screen and if it hurts ask for more sedation. I said I only wanted 1mg but probably could of had way more as it didn't even make me feel slightly lightheaded! I feel relieved now so it's the best thing, didn't ever think I'd have a polyp so I'm glad I did it xx
    • Posted

Hi Ella, how are you feeling? When do you have your consultation?xx
    • Posted

Hey today had my pre op. Today week it will be over. I'm feeling sick with worry 😭 Did u get your results?
    • Posted

How did the pre op go? I have proctitis and a small patch of ulcerative colitis starting. Also had a polyp removed so will hear hopefully by next Thursday. Started my meds yesterday so I'm happy about that. Bit worried for results but they said it looked OK. It wasn't giving me symptoms that's the worrying thing. Polyps don't always give you symptoms until it's quite advanced, so I'm glad I had it done! You will be ok. What's your symptoms? Mine was blood and mucus xx
    • Posted

Hi Bex,

My symptoms are occasional mucus and pain in lower right pelvic area. Been going on for long time espevially the diareah or constipation. Hope you get good news tomorrow 😄

• Posted

You will feel so relieved after you've had it done tho as your finally know what the cause is. Did they say what it could be? I find out next Thursday about the polyp!😬X
    • Posted

Ahh ok thought it was tomorrow. My gp has been saying I have ibs for a few years but I saw a surgeon who prefers to be safe due to family history. My Gynae keeps insisting it's scar tissue from appendix so I'm confused and worried. I keep imagining them finding a mass of some sort. Today week I can either continue with my life or be utterly devestated... Hope it's the first ...
    • Posted

I thought the same but it won't be like that. It could be ibs as it does cause mucus and pain. I bet it's something simple. I was shocked at my results but it's nothing they can't be helped. Worry made me so much worse. Still a bit panicky about next week but not as bad as before I had the colonoscopy. Worrying everyday is so much worse than finding out what it finally is,anxiety is awful x
    • Posted

Yes u bet. Was never like this till I had my younger kid. Whatever I get I think I have the big C. Probably cos my dad my passed away from that. Also have work worries so it makes sense that it is ibs but with such an invasive test I am sure they will find something incurable 😭 I want it to be over but at the same time I feel like my life as I know it is ending 😳😱
    • Posted

I know what you mean, I wouldn't of been so scared if I didn't have a child. You will be ok and it won't be anything awful. Are you in the U.K.? Your in good hands and will finally find out and get some meds x
    • Posted

No I'm in MALTA. Hopefully can enjoy our sunny days without being anxious 😬
    • Posted

Oh wow Malta, beautiful. Yes the sun should help you stay calm! Love the sun so much, always makes me feel much better!!x
    • Posted

Hi Amy,

Just wondering if you had your results yet?xx

• Posted

My gastroenteritis is running more tests. I had a barium follow through about 2 weeks ago now but the results aren't back yet. My colonoscopy was clear but they want to run more tests. Still finding it difficult to have Bowel movement doesn't matter what I try how are you getting on xx
    • Posted

Oh well I hope they find out soon what it is and hope it all gets sorted quickly. Yes I'm on my medication now and the blood has stopped. Waiting for a referral to the IBD clinic where they will just keep an eye on everything and tell me when to stop taking meds etc. It's good that it was all clear for you tho, do they have any ideas on what it could be?xx
    • Posted

They are checking my small bowel for Crohns or any abnormalities and if it's not that then they want to do a endoscopy to my stomach. They think I have acid in my stomach as it really hurts to eat. All my blood tests were almost clear except my infection levels and my liver function tests so they want to run more tests and I think they said check the valve on my stomach. Seeing my GP next Friday for a review. Not sure when my follow up appointment is with the consultant hoping it is soon though. Glad you are being treated though and they have managed to diagnose you xx
    • Posted

Yes I am relieved. Maybe could be allergies to food? Keep me updated and hope it's over with soon xx
    • Posted

That's what I thought but I have been through tests and I am not lactose or caeliac either and I have not ate anything different for years. They said I have free fluid on a left ovary which I though could be causing some of the pain. Could be ulcers causing the pain as I had ulcers a few years ago and had similar symptoms but that didn't have an effect on my bowels. And I will do once I know more xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.