Colonoscopy - Irregular Mucosa from Anal verge

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi,

Im new on here ! I had my colonoscopy today. The reason why i was referred for colonoscopy was because of bleeding in my stool and alternating between constipation and Diarrhoea..

Today, they found my colon normal but one thing they put on my notes was" biopsy from Anal Verge as they found subtle area irregular mucosa probably not significant".. when they did the biopsy i bled but nothing much was told to me other than to wait for results to come in.. I am really confused now. If anyone can help me with understanding this would be very helpful.. Also, would the biopsy determine if i have any of the IBD ? Thank you

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

This almost certainly relates to a differential diagnosis between Crohn’s disease, ulcerative colitis or neither. The report suggests so far it is neither of the two baddies. You can’t always get black and white answers in medicine - but I would have thought you most probably have nothing to worry about and at worst it is a mild and non-specific IBD which can be checked periodically. Trouble is now that scans are so accurate that they pick up the tiniest disturbances which many people probably have without any trouble. The most important thing is that it is not pre-cancerous, and likely nothing at all. Your symptoms may just be IBS. Don’t fret too much if you can help it because stress does not help all three of these conditions. I used to have the most violent alternating symptoms - all of which was IBS which came down in the end to a wheat and legume intolerance.
  • Posted

Thank you etheremail for your reply x But does IBS cause bleeding in the stool ? xx
    • Posted

IBS of itself doesn’t cause bleeding but they will take into account the bleeding symptom when assessing your colonoscopy result. Bleeding is a non-specific symptom and can be caused by lots of things. I had a very bad bleeding episode after a bad bout of IBS seventeen years ago because the gut had been so irritated I burst a blood vessel. Likewise excessive straining during constipation or diarrhoea can cause bleeding. The gut wall bleeds quite readily particularly in the anal/rectal area. Also bleeding can occur if the area gets sore and very irritated just like skin on the outside of your body. Alternating diarrhoea and constipation and cramping is a very common symptom of IBS. But, as you reported bleeding they will have been particularly alert to spot a tumour (which you obviously haven’t got) or an inflammatory bowel disease which they think very unlikely you have got from what you say. If they do conclude it is an inflammatory bowel disease it sounds as though it must be in a very early stage if the mucosa are not obviously inflamed. To me (and I am not a doctor) this would make it unlikely that the mucosal finding was causing the diarrhoea and constipation. If you don’t mind me being personal how does the blood present? Is it bright red, maroon or black? Is it always present when you use the loo? Is it visible or has it has been detected by tests and does it appear as a patch or streak on the loo paper?  Blood is always an A1 reason for having a test such as a colonoscopy unless it is obviously piles and it is very sensible to have one if blood is found, but it does not mean you necessarily have a serious bowel condition. Far from it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.