Colonoscopy Miss Diverticulitis?

Posted , 7 users are following.

I was hospitalized for last 5 days with complicated Diverticulitis.  Confirmed through CT.  Was headed for surgery but the surgeon felt I had 50:50 chance to respond enough to conservative treatment and make it to laparoscopic surgery.  So far so good. 

Now that I know the symptoms I can say for certain I had a previous bad attack three years  ago and minor flares about one time per year

My question/concern is I had a colonoscopy 9 months ago.  I just reread the results.  Indicated sigmoid colon as normal.  There was nothing abnormal noted other than internal hemmoroids

Can colonoscopy completely miss indication of Diverticulitis.  Only 9 months ago?

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Next
  • Posted

1 had a colonoscopy 3 years ago and it showed 3 ulcers ( for lack of a better word) I was told not to worry eat more fiber Here it is 3 years later after 2 hospitalizations and still flat on my back in dire need and Cat Scan shows numerous ulcers throughout my colon So apparently they come fast You should have gotten pictures of your colon when they did colonoscopy Ask your doctor for disc or picture Good luck
  • Posted

Thanks Ellen.  I can see one picture in the report of sigmoid colon.  I’m going to ask if they have more pictures in their files 

• Posted

Absolutely.  My colonoscopy indicated 3 Diverticulitis pouches in the sigmoid area.  2 weeks prior I had a major attack.  2 of the pockets were healed but one was still inflamed and infected.  I had 10+ attacks after that making surgery no longer an option.  Right now I'm going on 4 weeks after having surgery.  My surgeon opted for open so he could check everything out (lapriscopy can only go so far). My colon was beautiful and healthy until he reached the sigmoid area.  There were so many condensed pockets they literally formed a huge pocket,  and the scar tissue was unbelievable.  He was surprised I was still alive. Took out only 4 ", which I won't have to many limitations.  I am so glad I did the surgery because I feel so much better.  I would take the surgery pain over Diverticulitis pain  (which never goes away). Good luck. 

• Posted

Thanks Glenda.  After hearing about how common this disease is I was surprised I was never made aware of what to watch out for.  I’ve  suffered a few years now and always believed I had stomach flu or food poisoning, not knowing what Diverticultis flare was.    This last bout was different. It came on with vengeance just a few days after I thought I was getting better.  I’m day two after 5 day hospital stay. On full liquids, laxatives etc....you know the story.  And scared to death every little pain and discomfort is indicator it’s coming back......
    • Posted

I never heard about this disease until I was diagnosed.  Like you I suffered over a year thinking I had the stomach flu, then it dawned on me my whole life I'd had flu like that intensity maybe twice. I was constantly nauseated , everything below my life. button hurt especially the lower left . Finally got my doctor to write a referral for surgery  and it literally saved my life.  The surgery pain was excruciating but I would take it anytime over living a life with Diverticulitis and it's symptoms. At least with the surgery I can actually heal.

• Posted

Well mike, you might have seen my story. 3 years ago I had my routine colonoscopy. Gastro doc said few diverticula but not bad. Was back and forward to him but he always said ibs . Last November 7 day hospital stay in hospital for major infection of diverticulitis. Just didn't get better, have now had a bowel resection. I just don't think they know enough about this disease. 

• Posted

Rhiannon this is what I have been going through. Did you feel the ressection helped?
    • Posted

I am only 4 weeks from surgery so still healing. I have an iliostomy bag so it heals inside, I'm coping fine with that. It will be reversed.  In 12 weeks. My surgeon ( apparently an expert in this ) has assured me at the end of it all I won't have any more problems once things settle down. I had no choice about the surgery, it was vital, it was a mess in there. I'm really happy to know I will get better because the last few years have been miserable. I've still got a bit of a journey, but I'm feeling better every day. I am looking forward to a normal life. I'm usually fit, active etc.  not everyone has these severe problems though. What has been happening with you? 

• Posted

Hi I wish you the best of luck! Please keep us informed after your surgery!2 months of severe pain I'm running on and 2 infections in two months still on antibiotics with pain and fever I will start checking out my options as soon as I can get into GI doc

• Posted

Thank  you Ellen. I will keep everyone informed. We are all at different stages on this forum. But we all have the same disease. It's good to get to know how other people deal with it all. This surgery is not plain sailing, but the end result will be a cure hopefully. Please feel free to ask me anything after you see your GI doc. 

• Posted

Im not sure but I had one in 2012 no diverticulosis at all then 2017 all throughout large intestine. 9 months seems very short time to develop a problem.
    • Posted

They must have just missed any diverticula that were present 9 months ago.  That’s the only explanation I would have. 
  • Posted

Hi. A colonoscopy seems to be the go to procedure but I've had several

MRI's which I've been told by my urinologist provides a lot more information but I've had a lot of urinary issues due to my Chrons and

Diverticulitis.

• Posted

I prefer cat scans to colonoscopy it is to invasive but I have never had a MRI I know my last cat scan was ridiculously expensive over eight grand I will suggest MRI with my next bout because unfortunately there will be one Thanks for the suggestion 🌻

• Posted

Had a flare of diverticulitis two months ago. Fixed with flagyl.  Now have e coli uti not responding to antibiotics.  Are the two related or is it just coincidence?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.