Colonoscopy on Monday

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi, I’m a 25yo male getting a colonoscopy for the first time on Monday. I have a few questions/concerns. When I was told I should have one done I was kind of stunned so couldn’t immediately think of questions for the doctor. First of all, what is the level of anesthesia used? Will I be asleep through the procedure or just drowsy? Or is this up to me? I’m not as concerned about the prep, mostly just paranoid of what could go wrong during the procedure. Is it really easy for the colon to be perforated? Is there any place where people have given feedback for their procedures for specific doctors? If anyone has had a similar experience at my age that would make me feel better.

Thanks

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

I am wondering why at such young age, what is your symptoms buddy?

• Posted

I'm 17 and recently had one to investigate Crohn's disease, turns out I have it. For me, I took picolax bowel prep which is much easier to tolerate as theres much less to drink (500ml in total) but it's very important to drink plenty of clear fluids to make sure the prep works properly. My procedure was a gastroscopy and a colonoscopy one after the other and all I can say is, definitely ask for sedation if available. You will feel very relieved once it's all over and maybe even a little proud of yourself, I know I did. Good luck!

• Posted

Apologies, I was genuinely sympathetic. Best wishes
  • Posted

Hey, feel free to have a read of mine should answer most questions you have.

Regarding perforations in the colon you can check stats yourself online but from memory it’s something ridiculously small.  I wouldn’t overly concern yourself with it.

• Posted

Yeah statistically you're more likely to crash your car on the way to the hospital than something going wrong with the procedure. 

• Posted

First of all whoa, the other person was only trying to help. No need to be so aggressive.

You will have sedation (should you chose and i recommend it).

You will be awake.

Good Luck

• Posted

I've had two in the past two years both with sedation, which I recommend. I can't remember a thing about the first one as it was a combined endoscopy and colonoscopy, and for that procedure they usually administer more sedation so it knocked me out. The second was a colonoscopy only, and even with sedation I was fully aware of what was going on, and watched everything. It is only a mild sedative and some don't remember a thing, but it should only be enough to relax you, which I was. Judging by the actions I witnessed of the surgeon performing the procedure, he was not hanging around and seemed to be putting in quite some physical effort into the procedure. With that in mind I can imagine your insides are quite strong and resilient to physical contact, and therefore very difficult to perforate, as was already suggested to you by Carolannes' reply here stating ridiculously low rates of complications. The most pain I got was from my colon being blown up with air, which has to be done to so it's easier for the doctor to view your colon. I recommend passing wind as often as you can, it eases a lot of the discomfort.

To be honest, I've always found the bowel prep to be the worst part of the whole procedure, it gave me horrid cramping pains, made me really sore, tired and drained and was a real onslaught on my whole body, make it through the prep and the rest should be plain sailing.

• Posted

Hi

I have had 6 colonoscopies over the past 14 years...and never had a problem with the procedure itself. As for the sedation i didn`t really notice any effect but it must have relaxed me a bit..i was nowhere near falling asleep. I even watched on the tv screen the scope go round my large bowel. As for perforation risks i have been quoted the risk odds, by Doctor`s, ranging from 1 in 800 to 1 in 8000..!!!. You say you are not concerned about the prep...this is the worst part!!....stay near a toilet, drink lots of water..and follow the special diet to the letter. IF you don`t they won`t be able to complete the procedure. Hope all goes well...regards

• Posted

The answers posted to your questions are very honest and I think reflect the experiences of most of us. The last colonoscopy I had the surgeon said risk of perforation is one a thousand.Previous colonoscopies the stats were not given to me. As far as sedation it depends on the surgeon, several I've had I have been very relaxed and awake and could have looked the screen had I wished. The last one, different surgeon, I awoke after it was all over feeling like I'd had the best sleep ever.

The prep is more uncomfortable than the procedure. That also depends on the surgeon which prep they advise. Having only liquids for a day is boring and spending the evening in the bathroom a bit draining but it is over soon. Like everything else in life anticipation is 90% of the ordeal.

I am aware of young people and children of acquaintances who have had the procedure but have had no first hand conversations re their experience.

Ask your surgeon or Doctor all the questions you have re their protocol on sedation.

A good question I don't see addressed much is about your diet for the first few days after the colonoscopy. In my experience and that of some others a light diet is best for awhile. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.