Colonoscopy or virtual colonoscopy?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I'm at risk of colon cancer because my grandfather died of colon cancer in his 70s and my dad had a polyp (not cancerous) in his 50s. I'm a 45 year old female trying to decide between a colonoscopy and a CT colonography (virtual colonoscopy). My biggest concern is pain from the procedure since some people don't seem to respond to sedatives. I know that the prep is the same. Can anyone speak to the pain of the virtual procedure? How far does this tube go in for the virtual procedure (to date that hole has been exit only so something going in even a little bit seems terrifying)? Any advice would be appreciated.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

HI, i have to get a colonoscopy every 6 months, because of my crohn disease, and in March i had my first ct colonography. For me i prefer colonoscopy because i always fall asleep with the sedative, but for ct colonography, the tube they put in is not very long, you only feel some pressure, the part i dont like is when they put the air in your bowel, it gave me lots of cramps, i was very unconfertable, espacially when i had to lay down on my belly... so for me i prefer the colonoscopy.

Good luck

Annie

• Posted

I'll be honest with you I couldn't tolerate the colonoscopy it had to be stopped. I then went for the colonography which was OK embarrassing but totally painless even the bowel prep for this was easy Gastrografin medicine a small bottle to be took 3 times the day before it was aniseed flavour and really quite nice to taste. I had a cannula and was given a bowel muscle relaxant I worried over this procedure for nothing . My GP did give me some diazapan to calm me before hand .

If they do find polyps etc.. you will have to have a colonoscopy... I tried the 2nd time to get these removed but because I was so stressed I couldn't tolerate it . Speak to your consultant explain your concerns they will top up your sedative if needed . Good luck remember each person reacts differently x

• Posted

Thanks Carol! Yes, that's the problem with these procedures...each person reacts differently. So hard to know what to do!

• Posted

Try the colonography it's a quick procedure nothing to lose if I'd have had this 1st I wouldn't have been so afraid of the colonoscopy and would have relaxed .

The prep isn't bad you can eat the day before restricted diet .. no gallons of horrid drink . I promise you its a breeze xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.