Colonoscopy prep

Posted , 6 users are following.

was due colonoscopy today, started the movi prep at 4.30pm yesterday, finished 1st litre by 6.30pm by 7pm id vomited the lot back up. started second dose at 8.30pm & by 10pm had vomited it all back up. So no bm until 6am which was normal, they cancelled procedure . Now im home and cant get off the loo so mustve injested a fair amount before vomiting . 濫 Now they going to reschedule and im hoping for a drink that has less volume to consume next time .

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

I don't know why they insist on that horrible drink. Whoever invented it obviously didn't drink it! I've heard lots of people say they just vomited it up. I also heard that there is an alternative to it, but they tend to keep it a secret and just give you the regular stuff! When i had it I used a straw and sucked it to the back of my throat to avoid tasting it... I really couldn't drink it again as it was so traumatic. Hope it all goes well and they offer you an alternative if you explain how bad it is for you.

• Posted

thanks, i have asked for an alternative picolax which you apparantly only need to drink 300mls split into 2 doses as well as your clear fluids which seems a lot better. it was the sheer volume of the movi prep that made me vomit . Fingers crossed the consultant is sympathetic for next time when he prescribes the prep

• Posted

I used Picolax bowel preparation for my Colonoscopies. Far less to drink and it had an ok, albeit very false, orange taste with it. Only thing was I had to mix the sachets up about half an hour before I drank them and put the solution in the fridge, as while you mix the sachet with water it gets quite hot, I can't drink it warm. If I am ever given another colonoscopy and have to take Movi Prep, then I won't be going through with it, all I've heard bad things about it.

• Posted

Ive asked for the picolax next time . theres no way i could drink the movi prep again, it was too much and thats the reason i vomited . if i were you id definately ask for what you had before .

• Posted

You shouldn't have to drink anything before the procedure, just have an enema which goes in your back end while you lie down. Shortly afterwards it comes out, again from your bottom. The one they gave me to do at home didn't work properly so I had to have it again when I got to hospital. I wasn't sick but had to sit on the loo about three times and pass rather a lot of wind.

• Posted

I thought they might have did that when i got to the hospital but they said it wouldnt clear out enough to let them go far enough into the colon . If they send the same prep theres no way i could tolerate it .

• Posted

As a person with anal cancer I have to get a colonoscopy and endoscopy every 3 years and an anoscopy every year.

The prep is the worst part. But the alternative is so much worse ( death).

Here in the US they give you golightly. It is still 64 ounces of liquid divided into two doses followed by 16 ounces of water.

I normally consume lots of liquids and even I have trouble getting the entire amount down in the alloted time. I really feel for those who must endure the process. I have liquid flavoring that you put in water and it helps. It is similar to like vanilla extract a clear flavoring that you just use a drop or two. It is made for those carbonated water things.

It vastly improves the taste. I have lemon, lime, and raspberry.

After the procedure you will expel a lot of gas because they inflate you with some sort of gas to enable them to get better visuals.

I was wide awake for my first colonoscopy and watched on the monitor as they did it. The inside of the colon actually looks like the inside of your cheeks.

I wasn't aware that I had the option to be anesthetized. They gave me conscious sedation and that never knocks me out because I have had it numerous times for nerve blocks in my back. It was quite interesting but the rest of the times after they added the endoscopy I request full sedation. One time being conscious through that is enough.

Seems like someone would come up with a better way to prep. A lot more people would get their colonoscopy done if the prep was easier.

• Posted

sorry to hear that you have cancer. I hope you are keeping well just now. I was given picolax this time and found it a much more pleasant prep to take. Had my colonoscopy yesterday and all was well. They took biopsy due to inflamation which i had last time too so nothing to worry about. If i ever need to have another colonoscopy then i'll be asking for the picolax again

• Posted

HI Loupy: I put off getting a colonoscopy for over three years in part because of the prep. I had rectal bleeding for all that time. I finally had the test in Dec 2018- a large precancerous polyp was found--- The prep does suck but i would never recommend waiting to have that test if you have rectal bleeding. it was stupid. You would think in the 21st century they would have

developed a better prep -- so many people don't get the test because of the prep.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.