Colonoscopy prep discomfort

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi

I have my colonoscopy tomorrow afternoon so started the prep at 6pm but it's now 9pm and nothing has happened. I'm so bloated and full and feel very nauseous! Is this normal? When will it work?!

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Hi i suppose it's different for everyone. I'm Sure it will kick in soon. Don't venture far from the loo
  • Posted

Hi naoise try not too get too anxious just to say that I took my prep at 7 pm and had to wait about 4 and half hours before it started to work. We are each of us unique. All the best for tomorrow .😍
    • Posted

Thanks yeah I guess you're right. I just feel awful...heart is racing, shaking all over, sick and bloated. I just want it to work!
  • Posted

hi Naoise,

I remember you do, having to drink all that liquid, you might have to dash to the loo. If I remember correctly you need more in the morning. All that liquid does feel too much, you will feel a bit off.

• Posted

I thought mine wasn't working at first, took a good few hours, it'll come! Haha x
  • Posted

I waited four hours for the first dose to work and sat on the loo for two hours. The second dose took eight hours to work but there wasn't really anything left to expel! Hope that all goes well this afternoon. 
    • Posted

Well I've taken 3 1/2 and nothing..well a tiny amount! So I'm going to ring back the hospital in another hour as suggested by them. This cannot be normal!!!
  • Posted

Definitely a good idea to ring the hospital. Perhaps what you were given wasn't strong enough or maybe you just didn't have much in your bowel in the first place especially as you can only eat a very few things for two days before (most of which I don't usually eat and don't like - potatoes, pasta, rich tea biscuits). Think that's why I had nothing to expel after the second dose. At least my colon was clear for the colonoscopy. Hope yours is too.   
    • Posted

I know mine isn't clear cause it was solid what did come out and I was told it had to be water and clear?
  • Posted

Dear Naoise, what prep were you given....I had CitraFleet which I am led to understand is a little more 'gentle' ....in any case you are right to ring the hospital ...I hope all sorts itself out...and wish you a speedy recovery ..
    • Posted

I was given Klean prep. They told me to come in at the time and they will give me an enema to clear things.

But what I'm wondering is does this not indicate that something isnt right with my system?

• Posted

Well I guess they are suggesting a colonoscopy to check out whats possibly 'going on in the system' Is constipation an issue perhaps ? It is hard to remain steady in these situations the mind does race from one association to another....staying in the neutral zone is a real challenge..

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.