colonoscopy Prep times??

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi, I have a colonoscopy on Monday 23rd. My sheets which I got have some times crossed thro and changed. I think the sheet must be for a morning appt but mine is at 230pm. The times are:

Fri - special diet

sat - special diet

sun - no food from 1pm

sun - movi prep from 4pm

mon - movi prep from 6am

colonoscopy 230pm

This means I will be starved over 24hrs, does that sound right? Seems an awful long time! Thanks in advance. Oh and once u take the laxative, how long do the awful effects last?!

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Jo,

This was the same with me! You're right it is quite a long time but I know that they want to make sure they get the best possible result. Personally I got quite Irritated and upset by the evening but I do like my food!! :-)

• Posted

I'm have no appetite half the time but when I'm told I can't eat I'm guaranteed to be starving! Just seems so long 25.5hrs of nothing! Thanks for the reply smile
    • Posted

Hi Jo

Yep, the prep's a bloody nightmare, but your bowel needs to be as clear as possible for the docs to see what's going on.

So, once you start taking the potion you'll want to be as close to a toilet as possible. You'll probably feel pretty grumpy, tired and anti-social!! I would normally book the time out, make sure my beds all comfy, buy some extra soft toilet tissue, line up a box set and have a good book and sketch book to hand.

What I'm saying is, expect nothing of yourself for those days, just relax as much as you can, do stuff that entertains and pleases you and make sure you stay warm..... The prep always makes me very cold!!

Good luck...... Another thing to notch up to experience x

• Posted

Sounds an absolute delight! I know it will be bad, I had to take laxatives once before for a test but not 2 days in a row eep! im a single parent with 2 kids, the oldest is 17 thank god so she will have to feed and sort out her younger brother lol. Thankfully I have 2 toilets!!
    • Posted

The worst of the toilet stuff should be over by Sunday night..... But you'll feel pooh Monday. Such a shame you have to wait till 2.30pm for the scope!!!

Just make sure you get the full wack of drugs before they go anywhere near your bum..... You shouldn't feel a thing and you should be as relaxed as possible....... The drugs are the only nice thing about the whole procedure..... And the cup of tea and biccy after!!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.