colonoscopy procedure

Posted , 6 users are following.

i have just had a endoscopy and colonoscopy without sedation and no pain relief. After reading some of the stories about colonoscopy i was a little nervous to say the least. I need not have been. The colonoscopy was a cinch and apart from a dull stomach ache like pain it was actually quite pleasant and i would do it again tommorow. I dont know where people get these horror stories from but i experienced nothing of the sort. In fact i hardly noticed. So anyone worried about the procedure dont be, its painless even without sedation. The preparation wasnt as bad as people make out either.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Yup I second all of that. But we do have to accept that some people's innards might not be as straightforward as ours or that their surgeon is not as skilled.
  • Posted

Did you really say, "it was actually rather pleasant.. ."  So, putting a tube up your rearend, and channeling it into your intestines .. you call "pleasant." And would do it again tomorrrow .. . interesting.
  • Posted

Pleasant? I just had a colonoscopy and I would never call it pleasant. I felt everything they were doing and it hurt! As I was moaning and carry on, they toild me to breathe, which didn't help. Finally I got more medicine.

Never Again.

• Posted

All i am trying to say is. i had worked myself up into a state reading what i can onlly describe as horrific some of the experiences people have gone through during colooscopy. I was pleasantly suprised just how comfortable my experience was. I had just finished an endoscopy after a bit of throat spray then they spun the trolley around and started the colonoscopy. I can honestly say that i could have been reading a book  and not noticed a thing. I watched the whole pro cedure on a monitor  i was given gas and air to use at any time but didnt need it. the pain i felt on a scale of one to ten      was at worst two. Ewould i do it again. no problem. i have had worse pain with a routine stomach ache. I know everyone is different but like i said compareda to the horror stories ive heard mine was  pleasant and all this without sedation or pain relief.
    • Posted

David I have to agree with you, I have also had a colonoscopy & endoscopy (on seperate occassions) and the mistake i made was reading the horror stories before having it done! i was terrified.

I had sedation for both however was awake throughout both procedures and watched it on the screen.  The worst bit about the colonoscopy was definately the "bowel preperation" (fleet) i was awake all night needed to go to the toilet and taking the second dose in the morning i was worried i wasn't going to stop needing to go to the toilet (luckily i did) however i think the reason i hated the fleet so much is because i suffer with upset stomach on a regular basis and drinking something that brings on that unpleasant experience isn't nice.

However it could of been worse! But as you say i have worse stomach aches than all of the processes so definately worth going through it if you need to be checked out!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.