Colonoscopy question

Posted , 7 users are following.

Has anyone here experienced pain in pelvic area when urinating after colonoscopy? Im wondering if this is due to diverticular disease? I have another coming up this week, and am nervous about it.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I am so due to having one my last one was some time ago but i honestly do not think i had any pains in my pelvic area

• Posted

I have had several colonoscopies over the years, I have never experienced urinary difficulties afterwards. Also, I have had diverticulitis since 2016, but have never had a UTI associated with it.

• Posted

I didn't have any issues after a colonoscopy outside the immediate issue of sitting in the clinic letting my body push all the air back out of me, however the last two times I had Diverticulitis Micro-Perforations the first sign was a terrible pain when urinating (I went immediately to the ER upon having pain to the point I could not actually urinate).

Once there I got the usual IV Antibiotics in the ICU, but they immediately gave me something that allowed me to urinate without pain.

I would recommend going immediately to your ER if you are feeling these paints and Diverticula was found during your Colonoscopy, and advising of your results of the Colonoscopy and your pain, so they can do a CT Scan with Contrast to determine if you have a micro-perf.

Whatever you do, DO NOT(!!!) try force out urination or squeeze out stool if its painful, as this actually triggered an emergency surgery while I was in the hospital and tried to squeeze out stool. Something in me ruptured and I was in so much pain I blacked out until after the partial coloctomy emergency surgery.

It was insane, do not ever try to force out fluids or any bodily waste while in pain, and go immediately to ER when experiencing pelvic pain as Sepsis can onset rapidly as it did with me the first time I went in and found out I had Diverticulitis years ago.

Good luck and keep yourself safe!

• Posted

Pain when urinating is more likely to be due to a urinary tract infection (UTI) as a result of bacteria from the anal region entering the urethra and multiplying in the bladder. Have you had cystitus in the past and did it feel similar?

Having to completely empty the bowel before a colonoscopy, needing to go to the toilet so many times, increases the risk even if we do try to be exceptionally clean.

If you have had cystitus in the past, you will know how important it is to keep drinking water to help flush the bacteria out but we are told not to drink anything for two hours before a scope which would allow UT symptoms to worsen.

How soon after the scope did the symptoms start?

• Posted

It started when I got home, but I was okay after about 24 hrs. I dont think it was related to a UTI. maybe pressure from the procedure. That was two years ago having another in 2 days.

p

• Posted

I have had urinary problems all-together since I've had DV. Not saying that having urinary problems after a colonoscopy isn't related but I've also tried to put the puzzle pieces together for a long time and figure out what problem is giving me what symptom and it's a puzzler!

• Posted

A lot of people report urinary problems after a DV flare. I was getting symptoms every 10 days or so, and at first I thought they were UTI . In fact I was given 3 lots of antibiotics by phone for suspected UTI. But then I started treating them with just 48 hours of clear fluids and the symptoms died down. I don't like taking pills, and my GP is becoming increasingly reluctant to prescribe, for fear of developing antibiotic ineffectiveness. So I went online, ordered some urine dip strips and was given instructions on how to interpret them by a nurse practitioner. That way I was able to tell a real UTI from a mimic. As I recovered from the flares the urinary symptoms also subsided, until now it has been months since any symptoms. One suggestion made to me was that the internal inflammation from the DV put pressure on the bladder. I am now even more meticulous on how I wipe and clean myself, and change my pants (cotton, not man made fibre) once or twice a day. I carry spare pants and wipes with me when I go out, as a precaution.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.