Colonoscopy results

Posted , 1 user is following.

Hi - Just wondering if anyone else here has had the same as me?

I had a virtual coloscopy, then because something looked suspicious I was given a colonoscopy being told that the doctor performing it would remove the growth.

Well, it wasn't possible to remove it as it is in a very difficult place that might pierce the bowel.

I have been told that a biopsy showed that the top of this growth is benign but they cannot take a biopsy of the root and there is always the possibility that the root is cancerous?

They will check again in  6 - 12 months, look for alterations.

I would like to feel confident about this but it does stay on my mind.

Has anyone else had the same, any advice.  Thanks.  J x

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Jessie, I would certainly insits that it was looked at again in t 6 months no longer. No point in saying don't worry as we all do. I would have thought though that if it was sinister it would show in all of the growth.  Keep us updated 

x

• Posted

Thanks for your reply babs.   I was surprised that 'cancerous roots' were mentioned by the consultant as well, but I've no experience of bowel polyps (this one is 2 cm he said).

I shall follow your advice and get it checked out again in 6 months to be safe.  Thanks again x

• Posted

I had a polyp removed. I was told that it was small but would have turned nasty had it not been removed. It could be the same as with you. I really don't think the doctor should have mentioned that the roots could be cancerous as all that's done is make you worry. Many polyps can turn its the same as removing bad cells if you have an iffy smear. To tell you to wait up to a year is rediculous. I would insist it be removed asap. Probably nothing but they can't expect you to worry about it for so long.  Jeeeeyz! The mind boggles 
    • Posted

Well, I did read that doctors believe most bowel cancers start from polyps so I am a bit concerned.   

I do understand it is in a difficult position (very bendy place near the appendix area) and means an op. but I would rather get rid of it !

Thanks for your reply.  x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.