Colonoscopy results

Posted , 2 users are following.

I finally had my colonoscopy after spending time in hospital in January due to blood loss and dehydration. Ive got the report, just wondering if anyone can shed some light as I am new to this. He couldn't go down the right side of my colon because the scope was looping and it was too painful. Apparently my colon is very bendy! The gas and air helped hut it was still painful.

The following are the report results:

Normal rectum and sigmoid, but a patch of inflammation in the splenic flexure, and area which the predsol enema couldn't reach. Normal distal transverse colon.

1. Rectum - 1 image, 2 x biopsy and placed in 4 containers

2. Proximal sigmoid colon - 2 x biopsy taken and placed in 3 containers

3. Splenic flexure - 2 images, 6 x biopsy and placed in 2 containers.

- Patchy Erythematous mucosa

- Patchy granular mucosa

- Multiple erosions with no bleeding

I watched the screen throuhout the procedure and could see the inflammation. He said there is inflammation and multiple erosions in the splenic flexure. He seems to think that the steroid enemas have stopped inflammation further down in my colon. Took biopsies and the report says diagnosis of suspected new IBD case. Not sure if ulcerative colitis or crohns but more than likely ulcerative colitis because of where it is apparently. He said the enemas I take aren't getting high enough up to heal the inflammation so don't know what happens now. They didn't give me any tablets, he was going to give me mesalazine oral talet's but because I had a reaction to the mesalazine enema before he didn't give me any. Just thought I would have been given steroid tablets or something to get rid of the inflammation in the meantime. Any advice would be much appreciated smile

Lou

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi and glad to hear you have had the procedure at last.

Endoscopy clinics can be a bit of an assembly line and the doctors don’t have much time to discuss treatment plans in any detail. I’m assuming that you will have a clinic follow up and that will give you time to absorb what you have learned from the colonoscopy, do some research about treatment and be prepared for a longer consultation.

A very good resource for understanding which medication is used for UC can be found on the website for the National Center for Biotechnology Information. I won’t post a link else this will go into moderation. Search there on Medical Treatment of Ulcerative Colitis.

It may well be that, especially as there was no bleeding at the splenic flexure, oral mesalazine would be enough to treat the inflammation and avoid you having to take oral steriods. The latter are sometimes necessary but the side effects can be severe and the withdrawal period difficult. Bear in mind that steriods are immunosuppressants as well as anti-inflammatories. They work by weakening the immune system which is attacking the body rather than defending it. A weakened immune system can leave you open to all kinds of possibly illnesses. Mesalazine can have some unpleasant side effects, dizzyness, nausea, diarrhea but if you can tolerate those and avoid oral steriods, I’d try the 5-ASA route first.

My UC has just started flaring again - the first time since June 2016. It took six months after than to start feeling well again - the steroid taper really did hit me for six. I'm trying oral mesalazine first to try to get the symptoms under control. I swear just as I start to think I might be able to risk a holiday where I won't spend the majority of it in the bathroom this wretched illness jumps up and bites me. At least I feel I have enough knowledge now to manage it.

• Posted

Hi, it's good to hear from you again.

I went for no sedation but boy did I take advantage of the gas and air as he was trying to advance the scope through the transverse colon. Apparently I have a very twisty colon that made it more difficult. I'm glad I went for gas and air though because it meant I could have a meaningful conversation with the Dr throughout the procedure and could clearly see where my colon looked normal and where it looked patchy on the screen. So would still go for no sedation if I ever have to have one again.

Yes the Dr who did my colonoscopy said I would have a follow up but that he will try and get me under his care as the Consultant I am currently with is the Surgical Team. So not sure how long that will take. I was a bit gutted not to have oral tablets on the day but when I let him know the reaction I had to the enema he didn't want to give me mesalazine tablets. I will however ask if I could try them when I have my appointment with him.

Definitely need to do some research in advance of that appointment about treatments. I noticed on the Web that they do budesonide tablets called cortiment that work on the colon and don't have the systemic effects that pred has so I might ask him about that.

I'm sorry to hear you're flaring again. It picks the worst times doesn't it. It couldn't have come at a worse time for me with my work. I hope the mesalazine helps you quickly. Do you take it all the time and up the dose when needed or do you just take it when you flare?

Thanks for the reference to that website, I'll have a browse this afternoon.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.