colonoscopy results please help

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi

I am feeling a bit daunted and dazed.  i have just seen my GP who discssued my Colonoscopy results with me.  i had my colonoscopy at the end of January.  i heard nothing about the results today.  I recived a letter at the end of April confirming i had a consultants appointment in July.  I assumed that everything was ok.  However today the GP read report which was snet ot him in February which indicated that i had been referred to the multi disiplinary team for further discussion as the rectal biopsy showed a rectal carcinoid neuroendocrine tumour (less than 5% of the cells show nuclear positivity with ki67)..  It goes on to explain that it is difficult to give an accurate value as only a tiny focus of tumour is present for assesment. and based on this fragment alone, the index is to be less than 2% grade 1 tumour.  i am left baffled.  To me this reads i have cancer.  But why wait 6 months to see me.  has anyone had any similar experinces.  I have followed up with the hospita today and demanded to be seen before July, HOwever they keep saying dont worry.  I am worried!!!!!

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi Nikki. Of course you're worried and so would anyone be. It's human nature to always think the worst and these Doctors should realise that. I do feel if it was anything sinister they would have called you back immediately however I would still insist on seeing the consultant straight away just to put your mind at rest. Say you are having panick attacks that might make them 'squeeze' you in sooner

Babs

• Posted

Hi Babs 

than rang the hospital and managed to persuade them to see me next Wednesday. Let's what the outcome is......... The sooner we know the sooner we can move forward

• Posted

Hi

I can really feel for your concern. I was diagnosed with rectal cancer within 3 weeks of my colonoscopy, I am starting radiotherapy next week and surgery is to follow the following week.  All this has happened in the space of 6 weeks.  I am still reeling from the shock of it all.  All I can say to perhaps to make you feel a little less worried is that if you had anything that required urgent treatment it would have happened by now.  I was told by the cancer nurse that the NHS has to follow guidelines that cancer diagnosis has to be followed up with treatment within 3weeks.  Maybe it's not cancer,

please try not to worry and put your faith in the medical team.  I wish you we'll.

Margaret

• Posted

Hi Margaret.

I wish you all the best with your treatment. It's good that they managed to start treatment soon after diagnosis. I have spoken with the Macmillan nurses and several other healthcare professionals and they have all said that I should have been followed up sooner not 6 months later. Good luck with your treatment x

• Posted

Hi nikki, I'm in the same situation as you, when I went back to the hospital 5weeks ago for my results from my colonoscopy iwas told I had a tumour but not to worry he was not saying I had cancer, then he told me I would be discussed at the next multidisciplinary team meeting. I went back on monday to see him and he told me that the polyp they removed was a rectal carsanoma but again told me he wasn't telling me I have cancer but I'm going back to the hospital on Saturday to have another colonoscopy to take biopsys of the scar to make sure they got everything. I am confused carsanoma means cancer when you look it up, so I am sat here worried.I need to get my brain into gear and will ask more questions on Saturday. Sorry for the essay !! Hope everything goes well for you and you get some answers.
    • Posted

Hi Annie

I am sure  your polyp wasn't cancerous, but potentially cancerous, that's why they removed it.  Perhaps they want to make sure there are no nasty cells left behind, that can only be good news. I have a tumour that is cancer, and it is to be zapped with radiotherapy and surgery and I am very frightened.  I hope you get very good results on Saturday.  Try not to worry.

Margaret

• Posted

Hi margaret,I know I should think myself lucky that they found the polyp when they did as my dr wasn't even going to send me for a colonoscopy because she said she thinks I have ibs, but sent me because I was worried. But I still can't stop myself worrying. Anyway less about me, I hope your treatment goes well, and take care. Annie
    • Posted

Hi Annie.

yes I thought carcinoma meant cancer!  Everything is so confusing. I am getting information overload from the internet. Carcinoid tumour is explained as a cancerous tumour. neuroendocrine tumour is also cancer and both these words are in my reports. You said you have a scar, does that mean they removed your tumour. If they have removed it, how do they know they have not left any dangerous cells behind. I hope everything goes well for you on Saturday. Please let us know what they say. All the best 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.