Colonoscopy showed Diverticular changes

Posted , 1 user is following.

My first post.

A colonoscopy showed diverticular changes in the Colon. 2014

Reason for colonoscopy, do I have IBS?

Symptom, very little time between knowing a bowel movement is required and it taking place, often only a few minutes.

Often stool is very soft, foul smelling and sticks to self and toilet bowl.

Quite an unpleasant experience.

This bowel activity is quite regular and occurs about every 4th day.

Can you imagine the anxiety associated with this situation.

This has been happening for over 7 years and there have been accidents.

Just recently my GP has recommended Fybogel and amitriptyline 10mg daily.

Due to my Bradycardia I have not taken the amitriptyline but after 4 days taking the Fybogel sachets there has been a significant change in my stools.

After day one my stool was still soft and easy to pass but was not sticky.

To my delight it all flushed away without any residue in the toilet pan.

After day 3 I had sensation of needing a bowel movement BM which soon went off (amazingly) and didn't return until 90 minutes later when I "had to" have a BM.

Again an easily passed soft stool with no mess.

Day 6 and it's 8pm, sensation of BM.

Didn't try to delay as it's late so straight to the loo, a lot of straining to effect a BM this time. Stool firm but not solid and sinks. Again it flushes away without leaving any residue.

My doctor suggested I have IBS but just taking Fybogel for a few days has made a big change.

If I can delay a BM so that I can have a BM when it's convenient to do so all my prayers will be answered.

Could this just be a balance of diet?

I have seen a dietician and been through the Fodmap scenario.

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.