Colonoscopy surveillance

Posted , 5 users are following.

I had the above last year and a small polyp was removed and was advised to rescope in 5 yrs.  I have a history of bowel cancer in the family, my sister and frst cousin.  My two brothers and one sister had one done and they all had benign polyp removed.  They live abroad and was advised to rescope in 1 yr.  I raised this issue with the consultant and he told me I am not deemed to be in the high risk group according to the British Society of Gastroenterology.  My sister had just done her annual scope and two some ones were removed at different location.  Should I be concerned and get one done or shall I follow the advice of the consultant assuming I do not have any problems in the interim the surveillance will be in 5yrs.  My siblings who live abroad do have to pay to be rescoped.  Just interested to see how often other people are being called for rescoping.  Thanks

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I think this is really difficult and you have my sympathy. Statistically I have no doubt the consultant is correct but you are the one who will have to suffer the consequences if it is wrong. Why not compromise and go for a three year period? It is highly unlikely you would go from benign polyp to cancer in that period.
  • Posted

When I was 47 I had my colonoscopy, before that I had one 10 years earlier. I have Crohn's disease and due to the disease I am more prone to cancer. The last one they found three growths all non cancerous, but one was 10mm in size and the other two were 9 and 8mm in size. The doctor said that the larger ones are more prone to being cancerous if they are over 10mm. They told me I should be screened every two years and that is what I am doing. I will never go in every year. The scope and the biopsies are hard on your colon, so the less they do that the better in my opinion. Also, even though they find Polyps they are usually not cancerous. It is tough for them to see cancer in the test as most of the cancer spots are flat and don't protrude into the bowel, so it is hit or miss. They take samples every inch in my colon and as a result I bleed for weeks after. The fear of cancer is a real one, but if they can miss it, then really what is the point of the test. My doctor told me they use a dye that makes the cancer stand out, but just because someone gets screened doesn't mean that you don't have cancer. They just might not see it. This is something they generally don't tell people, they just say hey you are 50 years old time to get scoped. I think it is a bad idea. I would get the ocult blood test to see if there is blood and if there is then one should be scoped or if there is a family history. I really don't like going in for these and I tend to put them off as long as I can. If it offers some peace of mind then I would just tell them that you would like to come in every year as you want to make sure that you are ok. Again they can and do miss cancer, they don't always catch it, but it is better than doing nothing at all. I am high risk and they said every two years, but I usually will put it off for closer to 5, but that is me. You have to do what you think is right for you.

• Posted

In the US, usually some of the decision is based on how large the gastroenterologist's boat payment is.

• Posted

Also, part of the reason for more frequent followup occurs because of the presence of polyps.  And the more polyps a person has, the risk also increases that the doctor missed one.  It makes sense.  If one has more polyps, the more likely that one is missed, so it would get larger sooner and be more likely to be noticed in the next colonoscopy within a shorter time period.  They call the colonoscopy the "gold standard" but it is NOT an infallible test.  Plus, the true "gold standard" for determining the "gold standard" is a randomized clinical trial on the use of the colonoscopy.  And  .........  there has NOT been one done yet.  Although there is a large one in the US, and one in Europe being done now, but they will take years to be conclusive.  Right now, we just have gastroenterologists offering their "opinion" and they are the specialty that has the MOST to gain with frequent colonoscopies as they are now done in the US.

• Posted

Yea, it is sad but my doctor pushes this test on me every time I come in. This is how they make their money and we have to be smart and know when we need to go in. If you are high risk, if you have noticed blood or your bowel habits have changed over time. That was what I noticed, that things were different. I can tell you after my last colonoscopy I have had pain ever since in my colon where they removed the large polyp. They did another one to figure out what is going on, but they can't figure it out. It is best to figure out what interval you need to be screened at and stick to it. I wouldn't go in more often as I said these do damage the colon. The less you have them the better in my opinion. In those with IBD I think they really need to limit them as our bowel is weakened by constant immune attacks so cutting out biopsy samples and blowing lots of air in can stress the colon. People with IBD are many times more likely to have a bowel puncture during a colonoscopy and that is another reason I try not to go in too often. One has to figure out what is right for them and go with it. I am not really very concerned about colon cancer, so I tend to push things in my case. I would not expect others to do what I have done, putting off my scope for 10 years.

• Posted

I had colorectal cancer about 12 years ago and. had colonoscopies at 1,2,3, and 5 year intervals. On my last colonoscopy after a 5 year interval I had a small polyp removed and was told to come back in 5 years. My daughter , due to my history has had colonoscopies every 3 years and had polyps removed. It seems that different Doctors have different standards. We live in Canada. At any rate we need to be vigilant and keep watch for any symptoms.
    • Posted

Thanks I am in the uk. There are some guidelines they have to follow.I think having one every year for benign polyp is a bit over the top. I can understand having one every year if you have bowel cancer. I am sure they are advised to have one annually because they are paying. I will follow my consultant advice and be vigilant for anything unusual. Do you not mind me asking  how old is your daughter? 
  • Posted

My daughter is now 59. I was 67 when I was diagnosed in 2006. My daughter has been having regular colonoscopies ever since and as long as she has polyps it will be every 3 years.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.