colonoscopy today , help and advice pls

Posted , 2 users are following.

hi i have a colonoscopy this afternoon and i took the prep (1st lot) at 6pm last night and after a few tummy pains i went only about 5/6 times and then nothing all night and no more tummy pains. I am starting my second lot of prep now and am worried that not enough is coming out as i have read los about people being on the loo for hours and using cream etc. will this mean i won't be clear enough for today to do the test? i have been eating very bland for 2 days.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Natalie

Over the years 1've taken 3 different sorts of prep.  The last one I took, GastroGravin, I thought was not working as nothing much happened after the 1st dose, but when I took the 2nd dose, the action started!  The other 2 preps I took were Picalax and Moviprep, and they did involve sitting on the loo for hours.  Everyone seems to react differently and hopefully you are one of the lucky ones.

I am surprised though, that you have been allowed to eat.  I was instructed to have 3 days of bland diet, followed by 2 days of clear liquids only before I took my preps, and this was only last November. 

I hope all goes well for you this afternoon.

• Posted

i was allowed to eat up to 1pm yesterday and procedure is 3.30pm today. it was postponed for 24 hours so been on a bland diet since tuesday anyway and because of my anxiety i haven't been eating much at all. i am really frightened of sedation because of having a panic attack and i am also on sertraline

• Posted

Sounds ok to me....i have had several colonoscopies and the amount of times you have opened your bowels is quite normal after prep and i have never been going to the toilet for hours...obvioulsly you will go a few times again when you take the second prep. The most important thing is to drink as much water as you can to cleanse your bowel, You should be looking for watery motions with an almost transparent colour...hope you get on ok...they will give you the preliminary results on the day;

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.