Colonoscopy tomorrow

Posted , 6 users are following.

I’m having a colonoscopy tomorrow what can I expect please as it’s a bit daunting I’m 37 male 

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Carl

It’s been 2 years since my colonoscopy but my main memories are: 

Drinking approx a gallon of that yucky tasting liquid to clean out my colon before the exam.

I was given IV sedation which put me to sleep throughout the colonoscopy.  I was not aware when it began, no memories of the exam; and was in a recovery room with someone calling my name after it ended.

I was somewhat groggy after the exam, but I had a driver to bring me home.  There was no pain during or after the exam.

I think the worse part of the colonoscopy for me, was drinking that foul tasting liquid, and ‘my anxiety’ about having an exam.  

You’ll be fine during the examination.  Praying good results for you.

• Posted

Hi, I had a colonoscopy just over a month ago. The prep wasn't particularly pleasant, but bearable. I had twilight sedation for my procedure, but all I can remember is the cannula being inserted and nothing else. I remember waking up in the recovery room, feeling fine, a bit windy. They told me six biopsies were taken, luckily everything came out normal. The next day I felt a little sore but felt fine.

All the best for tomorrow

• Posted

What were your reasons for having it if you don’t mind me asking 
    • Posted

I was referred for colonoscopy due to pain and tenderness just to the right of my navel. This lasted about two weeks, then my stools were loose. Then I noticed a fair amount of mucus with every bowel movement. I did have bleeding but I have had hemmoroids for many years but obviously I couldn't be certain where the bleeding was coming from. So I had the colonoscopy and as I said everything was normal except for internal hemmorhoids. The Dr has put my symptoms down to ibs.

• Posted

3 years since my last colonoscopy. For me the prep was okay. I drank the liquid through a straw and used ice cold water so the taste wasn’t too bad at all. Worst part was having to drink what felt like gallons of water - it got to the point where I couldn’t face drinking yet another litre of water!

The procedure itself was okay. I just used gas and air, no sedation, and there were only a couple of brief moments when it became quite uncomfortable whilst the scope was going round a bend in the colon. 

Tea and toast immediately afterwards, home 30 mins later, and apart from feeling a bit distended from the air they pump into you, no after effects. 

Whilst I wouldn’t add a colonoscopy to my bucket list I wouldn’t have any fears about having it again. 

Good luck with yours. 

Jan

• Posted

What were your reasons for having it if you don’t mind me asking 
  • Posted

I cancelled my colonoscopy 12 months ago due to fear of the procedure and embarrassment. Fast forward nearly 12 months and my symptoms were getting worse so I had no choice but to have it done .

The prep is definitely the worst part. The procedure its self was slightly uncomfortable but not painful. I was given sedation.

My colonoscopy potentially saved my life as they found I had a high grade pre cancerous polyp ,which I had removed one month ago.

I dread to think what would have happened if I had't gone.

You will be fine its over and done with in no time .

• Posted

Yes I had my colonoscopy done in May of this year worst part I saw was the prep once you go and they put too sleep then in 20-30 minutes it's done then awake and that's it. I had too have mine when you turn 50 here in the states you got too have them mind me asking why your having it done only being 37 which now really the American Cancer Society will also tell you the earlier the prescreening of checking for colon cancer the better chances of not getting. Mine should have been already in my 40's I ended off having one small lesion like polyp which turn out it was a polyp then one large one that turned out being a 5 cm that a colonoscopy could not remove too big the only option they gave me was have half of my colon removed and that's what I did in July this year I had the best doctor and staff and they did Robotic Surgery and in no time I was up moving around back too recovery. Back working out in the gym doing all my b.s.am activities. This hear is not that bad too get done a colonoscopy just the prep part of it. Ok.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.