Colonoscopy with no sedation

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi need some advice im having a colonoscopy on tuesday and would like to get it without sedation as i had a endoscopy done few weeks ago with no sedation and went ok . Please advise is it that bad????

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

I had one a few months ago but would not have wanted it wothout sedation, as I think it might be uncomfortable. Having sedaton made me feel so relaxed and I had no pain, just slight discomfort at one time but not that bad at all.I even watched it all on the screen. Good luck with whatever you decide to do
    • Posted

Yes, mine was with sedation. Over a year ago now, but I remember feeling completely relaxed and was quite chatty! No after effects and only slight discomfort for a few seconds. I'd recommend it too, but many people I've read about found it ok without. I wasn't actually given a choice. But I would have had it anyway if asked. 
  • Posted

I would under no circumstances get one without near complete sedation. Had one year ago put in twilight sedation went Smoot as silk.However had cystoscopy earlier in week under only local sedation

..worst medical procedures ever went through. I actually yelled "F....k" during exam.very upset I even went thru with it

Please do not even attempt a colonoscopy w out proper sedation. They may have to do biopsy. Nest of luck

• Posted

I had a colonoscopy a year ago and it hurt even with sedation. The sedation is not there to numb the pain but to make you feel more relaxed and it also seems to make the whole procedure go more quickly. Like you I had a gastroscopy without sedation and that was OK (not fine, but OK) but I think bearing in mind that for a lot of people there can be quite a lot of discomfort involved in the other end (when they pump air in) I'd recommend taking whatever they're offering.
    • Posted

I think ill go for sedation so but its not being in control that frightens me i mean do they not numb you there and how long does it take for sedation to wear off.
    • Posted

They do not numb you at all, you just feel relaxed, it worked for me anyway and I had no after effects at all, Maybe I had a very good surgeon!!
  • Posted

Hi just my experience. I had a Colonoscopy without sedation and it was fine! There was no major discomfort.... the only slight discomfort was the feeling of wanting to 'push' at times... but overall went wel. They gave me the option of having sedation on standby if I wanted it....but never did! The doctor took a lot of time and care and controlled breathing in through the nose & out through the mouth helped!

Jay

• Posted

I had a colonoscopy without sedation and it was easy - no pain at all. There is a little bit of discomfort at first which I believe is a bit of gas they use to inflate the rectum but once the procedure was underway it was comfortable and very interesting to watch as the camera travels around and biopsies are taken (which you can't feel).

Different people seem to have different experiences of the procedure and I'm guessing that thet may happen if, say, the colon is very inflamed and ulcerated. Otherwise, it is a very fine cable being passed though a very wide aperture so logically it should not hurt.

If people are nervous but would like to try without sedation then it's a good idea to ask for a canula to be put into your hand and if you find the procedure is too uncomfortable then some sedation can be given. This would make the recovery time longer and you have to go through all the hassle of having someone pick you up and stay with you overnight. I just had a few puffs of Entonox to relax me (the gas and air you have when having a baby) and we were all having a giggle as I was asking lots of questions but the Entonox had made my voice very deep.

I see you were booked for today so hope all went well but typing this as it may reassure someone else.

• Posted

Hi the docs said it be too painful without sedation as i asked about it but my experience being sedated was good was awake but totally relaxed and watched it on d screen i had about two cramps but managable and was able to go home an hour after having tea and toast which was welcomed so much as was starving from fasting the day before .
  • Posted

Interesting that the docs would say that. Maybe they say it as a safeguard. The woman in before me was making a helluva fuss, screaming and yelling and it could stress out the person next in the queue. She seemed to be fast asleep when they wheeled me into recovery so they must have knocked her out with something. Glad to hear yours went ok and hope the docs didn't find anything (or anything too serious). I didn't get toast!
    • Posted

They removed a small polyp and noticed on d report it says Diverticulosis watever that is as they did not tell me that today.
    • Posted

That doesn't sound too bad and hopefully won't be too much of a problem. Diverticulosis is when small pouches (diverticula) form on the wall of the colon. Problems can arise if these become infected or inflamed - which is then called diverticulitis - itis meaning inflammation. Stats show that 80 out of a100 people with diverticulosis don't get diverticulitis.
  • Posted

Sorry for the late reply.   I had a no sedation colonoscopy a couple years ago.  The doctor performing the procedure and my GP thought I was nuts.  The procedure is quite uncomfortable (periodic cramping) but if you try and relax it is tolerable and is relatively quick.  I will consider doing it without sedation again.  I hope your procedure went well.
  • Posted

I have done it both ways here in New York, with sedation and without. I have to say I would never use sedation again. There was just a little discomfort, but I was in and out of the docs office in 45 minutes, drove back to work and got on with my life instead of the 3 hour debacle involved with sedation.My doc did say mens colons are easier to navigate with the scope, and over half of his procedures are now done without sedation in males, about 10% of females opt out of the needle as well. He also said he's never had a single male that went without sedation request it the second time back, so that should tell you something.As for the women, you ladies are tough as nails when it comes to childbirth but for some reason the colonoscopies seem to be a bit more painful for you based on what i'm reading and hearing.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.