Colonoscopy with sedation

Posted , 4 users are following.

Today have has frst colonoscopy and after reading reviews on different web sites i was extremely anxious. Had picolax prep, 2 satchets and agins popel describe heor experience of this as very different to mine. I did not have any cramps and although had regular trips to toilet  was no problem. Colooscopy was done with midazelam and pethadine and although can remeber some painful bits generaally cant recall much. 

would not be frightened to have it again or take the prep.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I am pleased to learn it was not too bad. That's good.

my second colonoscopy was bearable but somehow the third was a nightmare.

it isn't always a 'walk in the park.'

• Posted

I had a sigmoidoscopy some 15 years ago ..... kind of a colonoscopy "lite".  I was sooooo barbaric that I have never gone for a colonoscopy.  Just that regular doctor's recommendation to get one brings back PTSD-like nightmares.  I accept that I will die of something, and hopefully before my money runs out.
  • Posted

Just trying to addres a balance for poeple, as when i read experiences it really made me anxious, generally people who have had bad experiences post and those who have better experience dont
  • Posted

That is why I posted my good drug free colonoscopy experience to this forum.   I do suggest that if one has a good experience to use the same operator/doctor for the next one if at all possible.   My doctor was very experienced with endoscopy and surprised me with how little air he needed to navigate the scope. I know that is not typical.   A lessor operator will use more air and that creates more discomfort and pain.   Also male patients tend to have better outcomes, on the average, for some reason.   I tended to forego sedation due to having extreme sensitivity to all Benzodiazepines, causing me to be overseded and breathing issues, and having an egg allergy that might cause issues with Propofol, which is typically used for colonoscopies in the states.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.