Colonoscopy Without Sedation

Posted , 64 users are following.

I am writing this in the hope of reassuring a person that is preparing for a colonoscopy.

I am a woman in my mid thirties and have had a colonoscopy today without sedation and although offered, did not need the gas and air in the end either. The whole bowel was scoped.

I would best describe, the additional air, being put into the bowel to iron out the creases, as the scope goes round...as a discomfort type of pain that rises in intensity then lowers, that passed after about 10 seconds of beginning (I think that's how long gas and air takes to work). This discomfort/pain happened two or three times throughout.

I had two polyps removed. It was possible to watch on the 'tv' screen but I didn't opt for that.

(The NHS Endoscopist and the Nurse which I conversed with about the procedure itself and many other things throughout the procedure were fantastic).

13 likes, 113 replies

113 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I had a colonoscopy recently with sedation on the advice of two nurses and the consultant. The prep with no food and laxatives was much better than I anticipated as I had eaten lightly two days before. I was advised that I could watch the procedure on the screen but can only remember having the needle put in my arm and then waking up back in a room when it was all over. I honestly cannot remember feeling anything or talking to anyone so cannot say if it was painful or not.  I was advised that the drug used makes you forget (similar to the 'date rape' drug). In a way it is good that I don't remember, but in another, I wanted to be 'conscious' as I'm not sure if I was completely 'out' or not. Maybe I was talking to the team and moving when asked etc but I really can't remember. I felt a bit strange and only thought about this when I got home and wish I knew. Has anyone else experienced this?
  • Posted

I had a colonoscopy a couple of days ago without sedation, just with gas and air. It was horrific, I was in so much pain I could barely cope and when I took the gas and air it made me feel spaced out and sick. 

They found evidence of crohns with nodules and inflammation present so maybe with the colon already inflamed, was why it hurt so much.

i had several biopsies taken to find out how far the crohns had spread, and that may be why I am still in pain a couple of days later. 

My advice to anyone in the future is to demand sedation, there is no way I can go through a colonoscopy again without it!!

• Posted

I agree. The one I remember due to inadequate sedation was agony and had to be stopped. The ones I don't remember were fine. (Probably agony too! ). I have inflammation of the bowel too.

Drug us.

• Posted

Same here! If there EVER is a next time... I’ll definitely go for sedation. Which I firmly believe, should always be a clinical recommendation for this vital procedure.

Health Complications aside, sedation  it is by far, the most distress lessening option.

It is probably a NHS Cost reduction policy to offer a colonoscopy procedure without sedation?

Personally, do not recommend that anyone takes the chance on being just comfortable with just gas and air. It spaces you out to a point where you lose your control on what’s actually being done to you.  I found the whole process disturbing – even though I am quite used to severe pain, owing to 17 years of ongoing Chronic back pain.

I also represent PALS in another NHS field so I know full-well How to listen to patients concerns. That’s why a forum like this is SO important. Patients really need to feel empowered.

As a patient you ALWAYS have the right to say NO - and that right should always be respected.

This forum is Brilliant - just wish I’d come here before I made crucial decisions about a clinical procedure I knew little about.  In conclusion I’d add that on NO account be TOO afraid to ask searching question about what’s going to done to YOUR body. Again, that’s your intrinsic right. Good Luck – and never be Afraid to Ask.

• Posted

I would go on to say that the patient should be given the full right to have sedation and pain relieve, full anaesthesia, or neither for a colonoscopy or sigmoidoscopy.   We as patients should never be afraid to ask for options and if option you want is not given then be able to go to another place that does have that option.  The patient has the right to say NO!  I believe everyone should have the right to the inviolability of their physical body when capable of consent.
    • Posted

You my friend are a person who not only takes patient's concerns but actually truly care about the patient's well being, not because that is part of the job, but because in your heart you actually do care and strive to make it who you are as a representative in the medical field. All medical staff should be required to grow in this type of mentality, as in they have to be able to prove that they actually and honestly care

• Posted

I read these comments last night and decided not to have sedation today for the colonoscopy.I have had two eye operations without sedation and consider myself able to be brave in these situations and hate the thought of being "out of it" for 24 hours.

The doctor did her best to advise me to have sedation but I refused.

It was agony !  The pushing upwards seemed relentless and was the worst pain I have ever had.Fortunately, I had only a small polyp near the bottom which was removed and the doctor stopped the procedure as she was satisfied I was clear.

I honestly think you need strong painkillers and heavy sedation for this and as I am already a senior citizen I will never have this again.

• Posted

which part of the country do you live in it seems very rare to have a successful colonscopy and i am waiting for an appointment and am very scared after reading how painful it has been for some people
  • Posted

I am waiting for my colonscopy appointment i will have sedation cos dont like pain and am wondering as I will be on my own will it be ok for me to get a taxi home afterwards as I have no relatives close by who would come with me
    • Posted

Christine,I was in the same position.The doctor will not allow you to leave the hospital until you have recovered from the sedation.I'm sure getting a taxi back will be O.K. after that but they do say that you are a bit woozy for a while.

I think that we should be given the option of staying in the hospital if we are in this position.

I know there is a shortage of beds but we are as entitled to one the same as anyone else.

• Posted

christine, I am asuming you are in the UK.  I don't think they would like you to go home in a taxi, with sedation they want someone to be with you for 24 hours after.  I live alone and had nobody to stay with me, so sedation was a no no anyway.
  • Posted

Well I got back about 2 hours ago and opted for sedation, what a waste of time.  I felt everything and it was horrendous.  They had to stop half way as I couldnt bare it any longer.  They had supposedly given me sedation and pain killer through a canular.  I was fully awake and talking with the nurses throughout.  I now have to have a barium enema.  Fortunately the half they did manage to see was normal.  Never again!!!! I cant believe some people on here who have had sedation were so lucky to feel nothing. 
    • Posted

I hope you feel a bit better today, Sunny. Sounds like not enough sedation was given. Let's hope the barium enema indicates that your bowel is ok. Best wishes to you.
    • Posted

Thanks Bencooper, I actually slept for a couple of hours at 4pm after being so called sedated at 10 am, dont know whether that was a delayed reaction to the sedation or more the fact that I hadnt slept well from receiving the appointment (I think this was more the case) Its just so dissapointing when you pray for the procedure to be over. I now have to wait for a further procedure to find out if all ok.  The more I think about it, I would love to know why when the doctor knew how much I was suffering he didnt offer to increase the sedation and continue.  Maybe anyone reading this, if you have a similar experience ask during the procedure rather than let the doctor decide to end it and have to wait for a further investigation
    • Posted

Relax. I've had a barium enema. A piece of p....

Think positive now.

But keep hoping that each endoscopist has a colonoscopy without any sedation.

That should keep you in a cheerful frame of mind.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.