Colonoscopy Without Sedation

Posted , 64 users are following.

I am writing this in the hope of reassuring a person that is preparing for a colonoscopy.

I am a woman in my mid thirties and have had a colonoscopy today without sedation and although offered, did not need the gas and air in the end either. The whole bowel was scoped.

I would best describe, the additional air, being put into the bowel to iron out the creases, as the scope goes round...as a discomfort type of pain that rises in intensity then lowers, that passed after about 10 seconds of beginning (I think that's how long gas and air takes to work). This discomfort/pain happened two or three times throughout.

I had two polyps removed. It was possible to watch on the 'tv' screen but I didn't opt for that.

(The NHS Endoscopist and the Nurse which I conversed with about the procedure itself and many other things throughout the procedure were fantastic).

13 likes, 113 replies

113 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

If am a 56 year old woman and had my first colonoscopy today. I was not sure my husband could pick me up so I asked for no sedation. I have had two births with no drugs whatsoever and have had several kidney stones so I thought I may be able to get through the procedure without the drugs. So, they put a tube in my vein just in case I requested it during a pain event. The female doctor was very nice and they turned the bed so I could see the screen. It was amazing to see ones own colon. But as the scope traveled up the 4' of bowel the air inserted to expand the view and provide room for the scope gave me a severe cramp for probably 15 secs before I requested the sedative. Nice feeling of relief. I applaud the practice I went to for being willing to let me, as the patient, be a part of the decision process. I felt great when I woke up but don't remember anything the doctor said. Thank goodness my husband had arrived to drive me home. 
  • Posted

I just had a sedation free colonoscopy yesterday!  I was diagnosed with moderate UC 9 years ago, and have always hated the prep as well as the sedation. This time, I did a new prep, and opted for no sedation.  I am thrilled about both!  I did the Mirilax and Gatorade prep.  You mix 64 ounces of gatorade with one container of Mirilax, and take a few laxative tabets as well.  There is absolutely no taste to the Mirilax, which made the prep so much easier!  One thing that I would suggest to everyone that helped...I drank a lot of fluids (water, broth, popsicles etc.) all day before I started my prep at 4:00 p.m. This helped me avoid dehydration.  When I had my colonoscopy, there were a few turns that were a bit uncomfortable, but honestly, there was no pain whatsoever!  I would definitely do it again.  I left the recovery in a matter of minutes, went directly out to lunch, and was absolutely fine for the rest of the day.  Try it, you will be pleasantly surprised!!
    • Posted

Having my first colonoscopy today for screening purposes and opting for no sedation due to a previous bad experience. Hope mine goes as well as yours did! Thanks for the reassuring post!
    • Posted

It went very well with no sedation at all!  I also had had a gastroscopy in the past with no sedation and found that was a little more uncomfortable that the colonoscopy.  No pain for either tests.  I would recommend trying with no sedation before consenting to it.  It was really a breeze.  Best of luck with your test.
  • Posted

I had a sigmoidoscopy some 15 years ago in the US.  No sedation, as I was lied to, and told it was not needed.  Just for routine "screening."  Never again.  I do NOT see the benefit of going through such unbearable pain for a screening test.  In fact, with my history of traumatic brain injuries, I am also not willing to have the nasty drugs, as I have read that the risks from the drugs can be very detrimental.  Yes, it is a "risk" but it is one that is my choice.  For the doctor, since the US has far better reimbursement rewards for them, I am sure that it risks their acqusition of that extra fancy  boat.  The median income for a gastroenterologists in the US in 2014 was about $400,000.  Of course, it is considered the "gold standard" for them as they have found that "pot of gold."
  • Posted

Thank you so much for taking the trouble to relate your experience. I am 57 and have to have a colonoscopy within the next two weeks and found your post very reassuring and helpful. Your point about the gas and air is a good one!  How long did the whole procedure last for approximately? 

I hope you feel much better now after having had polyps removed. 

• Posted

I had a colonoscopy today supposedly with sedation although they struggled to get a vein & essentially the sedation did not take at all. I was so worked up my bp was sky high but actually it wasn't so bad after all. It was very uncomfortable right at the start blowing air in & going around corners but was fine after that. They took biopsies & that was ok too - no pain. I was up & out of there after half an hour in recovery but really that was just to check my bp was normal again & have a snack. Worse part of the whole experience was the stomach cramps after the first dose of moviprep. I was doubled over in pain & felt like I was going to pass out it was so bad!! Doctor & nurses were brilliant though & it was NHS

• Posted

I also went that route after a previous colonoscopy with sedation gave me a little too much sedation and had to quickly inject me with something else to correct the screw up. So said I wasn't having it again and opted to be awake for the next one.

It's like you say, there are about 3 areas where you get sharp pain (I did have gas and air) and it still hurt but I wouldn't say any worse than the dentist.

I had a polyp removed in the last section before the anus which was tested and okay. 

I did watch the whole thing on the screen and it was a strange experience.. It wasn't as I imagined it to be in my mind.. This dirty place with all these weird bits and pieces lodged all over the place.. It was pink and smooth and clean looking.

• Posted

Hi. In case this helps anyone, this was my positive experience... I had a colonoscopy without sedation today and fortunately found it a breeze.

?My situation was this:

I'm a 44 year old male. As suggested by my wife, I deliberately hadn't researched it beforehand. My letter didn't say I was to be sedated, so I hadn't arranged to be picked up. On the day, I asked the consultant for options and he suggested I try this. I had an option for gas and air but didn't need it.

?I chatted to a very friendly nurse about holidays and families throughout the procedure and I didn't think about what was happening at the other end. It wasn't exactly comfortable but I didn't have any pain. I picked up my son from school 30 mins after leaving theatre, and did a three mile jog a couple of hours later.

?I feel very thankful, having scanned this thread, to have got it through it so easily.

?If I had researched it I probably wouldn't have done it without sedation. Ignorance was bliss. I was relaxed and wasn't expecting pain, fortunately didn't have any issues in my bowel, and with my contact lenses removed couldn't see much of anything. They told me afterwards the hospital hadn't had someone in for that procedure without sedation for a very long time, which prompted me to look it up.

?Best of luck to anyone undertaking the procedure in future.

• Posted

I receive astnished responses when I insist I prefer not to have anaesthetic. I have had nurses tell me " oh I don't think you're going to be able to do that". Others have said, we really don't have clients who don't opt for some pain control.

Well, that just builds an expectation that it is an unbearable procedure. I'm sure it is difficult for some people but I feel very strongly that the starting point should be no sedation with the option to step in if the patient finds it intolerabe after some general encouragement and coaching in terms of breathing etc. It is not natural childbirth by any means. 

I found that the support I received from the doctor and nurses after I persuaded them that I could weather the brief spikes of pain was amazing. They coached me through the few bumps on the journey and I ended up feeling very much a part of the care of my health as we discussed what I was seeing on the screen. 

• Posted

I am certain some nurses will say that something for pain is suggested because everyone responds differently.  I had a sigmoidoscopy long ago, which was "supposed" to be painless, but it was more like totally barbaric, so now I don't trust anything a doctor would say, and have refused colonoscopies ever since as I have zero history of such risks, and a lifetstyle with no othe risk factors other than being over 60 years old. I also refuse to have a "screening" test that would require a medication that would risk my memory strength as versed (see a versed busters blog) has a history of  occasionally doing.

• Posted

I had same experience today. Had colposcopy no sedation just air followed by warm water. Is it a cake walk? No.  But it's a cramping in a couple twisty areas that only last a few seconds. The nurses and Doctor chatted with me the whole time ti keep myind off any pain. In , done & changed in 45 mins. 

I'm a 60 yr f.  Few polyps removed ( crossing fingers  they test ok) no residue pain. 

Def will go the no anesthesia route next time too. Drove myself there and home.  At work few hours later 

• Posted

I went for colonoscopy without sedation yesterday.  I found drinking 2 litres of the moviprep really hard.  Since doing so I've read that many people don't complete this as it tastes pretty awful.  I took sips of water in between to take the taste away, but have seen that others drank ginger ale or something else more palatable after a swig of this mixture.  I kept the second litre in the fridge and this made it slightly easier to drink.  Like other people on here I have a high pain threshold and a friend who had it done said I should have the sedation.  I didn't know what to do so spoke to the nurse taking my details and she said she had sedation when she had it done, so I decided to have it.  Well ..... she couldn't get any blood out of my veins as I was slightly dehydrated so she said don't worry the doctor will get some!  He came in shortly afterward and said he thought I would be fine with just gas and air.  I've had a baby without anything so I thought oh this will be ok.  

I was on the table and the procedure started, it was ok for a while then I assume whilst going round a bend the pain kicked in but I managed to get through it as it was only for about 4 seconds.  At the last bend it was excruciating as I had adhesions due to a c-section and broke out in a hot sweat and pushed my foot against the side of the rails of the bed and actually made a small groan.  The nurse said I was doing really well.  I just wanted to get through it and get it over and done with as I did not want it done again!

Once the scope was out I saw the doctor who was doing it writing some notes on the computer, and he actually had sweat on his brow!  On the report it said it was "a challenging procedure".  I was ok for the rest of the day but today my tummy has felt a little sore.

I think if I had not had adhesions it would have been a breeze.  So hope this helps.

Good luck for those about to undertake this.

• Posted

And, of course, if you have inflammation due to bowel disease, it is more likely to hurt.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.