Colonoscopy WITHOUT Sedation. Easy, Breezy!!!! My experience:

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi. I wanted to post my experience as I spent many hours scouring the internet when I was deciding whether to have my colonoscopy with or without Versed or sedation.  I am a 50 year old woman who was going for the typical first time screening - (and I do have a history of colon cancer in my family so was extra nervous). I'm adding my voice to the chorus here because I had an easy, pain-free, stress-free experience and the ONLY thing I regret is all the time I wasted reading accounts like this on-line and worrying about going whether to be sedated or not.  

Details: Prep sucks, yes.  I opted to save $50 and drink the gallon jug instead of the small prep solution that had a high $50 co-pay.  I had a nice dinner out instead (see the end of this account)  but it did suck...  It's not even the bad taste so much as the thickness of the solution. It's creepy - yuck. I only survived this because I had the tip to buy hard candy and suck on it in between glasses of solution.  I am forever indebted to "Jolly Ranchers"!!  i literally had them opened and lined up on the table to stuff in my mouth the second I took the last sip of each glass of prep!! LOL...

I was VERY worried about the diarrhea -- to get graphic --- when I do have diarrhea I often have an agonizing "burn" in the anus. Excruciating even. So, I was imagining the thought of having burning diarrhea the night before.. and THEN, prodding the 'burned' area with a camera the very next morning.... sounds like torture! That was NOT AT ALL what happens.  First, the solution is gross, but, you start to output water in a very quick fashion -- 'streaming' water out of your bum.  So, you don't have that burning pain you get with actual diarrhea.  None of that insane burning or soreness! 

The actual procedure the next day was nearly pain free.  As a woman, I was so obsessed with worrying about female anatomy and the more 'windy' colon -- but, it didn't hurt AT ALL.  The doctor makes a 'finger sweep' and honestly that felt more uncomfortable that the scope!!! You won't feel it at all entering, or being 'threaded' up. 

I had some minor, super short term "bloated" feeling. Not exactly 'pain'. If you have EVER had a gas bubble or a bout of gas --- then that was FAR, FAR worse than the colonoscopy was for me.  I know we are all different, but, I can't believe if you've ever had a night where you were suffering with gas pains, that you'd be afraid of a colonoscopy.  A colonoscopy is much quicker, shorter, and more easily resolved and far less painful!!!  

The other enlightening thing for me to remind myself of:  Unlike when you are sick and suffering with gas pain -- during this procedure, the doctor can control the gas --- and can SUCK IT OUT  if you are in pain. So, you won't die or be in in excrutiating agony without recourse. 

This was a no-brainer for me.  I feel like I wasted a lot of time worrying for NOTHING. It was one of the simplest, most pain-free procedures I've ever had.  I felt GREAT about getting it done.  I had three polyps removed and watched the whole thing. Painless. 

While those around me recovering from Versed were sick, vomiting, weak, shaky, or wacky.....   I was chatting calmy with the nurse. 

And the $50 I saved on the less expensive prep??? My husband and I had a lovely fun lunch and some nice red wine to relax after leaving the hospital!!

There is a reason so many other countries don't need sedation.... there's nothing to it!!! 

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

I am in the UK so don't have to pay for the prep, but glad you found it a breeze. I think I will start with gas and air and if I find it too painful will go for sedation

• Posted

Yes, they can always give you an IV and just get a bit of Fentanyl (pain reliever).  The thing I don't like and didn't want was the Versed (as it's not a pain reliever, just an amnesia drug).  Once the IV is in, you could always have them give you the Versed if for some reason its really bad.  The good part is that they can always slow down, stop, or remove air -- so you aren't 'stuck' in agony while waiting for it to kick in.  I just found it wasn't worth the worry I put into it, which is why I wanted to share my experience.  Good for you for having it done! 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.