Colonoscopy woos

Posted , 4 users are following.

i don’t get it.  So many stories of how horrible a colonoscopy can be yet so many blindly following a doctor into ythe procedurejust because he said you need to do it at age 50.  Those with a family history or serious issues with their digestive system I can understand, but just becaiuse I’ve turned 50 I willnot bedictated to.   I will never have one no matter what

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

They only really do colonoscopies as they are quick, simple and relatively safe procedure that can highlight issues instantly and somewhat effectively. But I hear what you are saying, and after my last experience a couple of weeks ago, I never want to have another one as long as I live, and I don't see why I should if they tell me my colon looked looked very healthy, even if I get a positive diagnosis of IBD. The only issue is being able to pick up microscopic problems that can only be found through biopsies, which is why I had to have one.

I presume you have been told that you need colonoscopy? I was under the impression that a bowel screening test had to be done first, where a sample of your stool is tested for blood and inflammatory markers? The results of this test determine whether you should have a colonoscopy or not.

At the end of the day its up to the individual whether they want to go through with a colonoscopy, some would argue that for the 24 hours or so of going through the whole procedure is worth it to give them peace of mind, some would also argue that having one meant issues were discovered sooner rather than later, and appropriate courses of treatment were started before things got worse. But then there are those that argue that what is meant to be, will be, and that is life. All I know is that if I am tested positive for IBD, then its likely I will have to have routine colonoscopies, and I don't want to, not after the last experience I had.

• Posted

Five yrs ago i was told that since I’m 50 i need one.  I told them i’d have one when hell froze over.  The deal is actually my husband.  I had to push the doctor to give him a second sample kit, then cologuard. He thinks nothing of it but due to past instances, i find them filthy, disgusting and voluntary molestation
    • Posted

It's a pretty bad procedure to have to go through in terms of feeling violated, although the sedative puts a different slant on it, it may seem odd to hear this but I found it almost comical in a strange way. I also have to say that seeing the images of my colon on the TV screen was impressive, and really reassuring to see that all was healthy. The worst part for me is the bowel prep, I can handle the colonoscopy, but the prep made me feel really unwell, really don't like that bit. If my colon biopsy results come back clear then I will never want to have another one for as long as I live, whether that happens only time will tell.

• Posted

I am guessing you are USA based, as the UK procedure is very different.  Here older people are asked to provide stool samples which are tested for blood.  Only if these are positive are colonoscopies carried out.  I have had two for bleeding issues, both of which failed.  So instead other far less painful tests were carried out - a barium enema and a CT scan.  My problem turned out to be Diverticular Disease, not cancer as I had feared.  Being tested provided me with peace of mind but also showed there are alternatives to a colonoscopy.  I hope you are never faced with serious issues.
    • Posted

post I understand having one done for a serious issue but for somebody tell me that just because I turn 50 they want to shove a Camera at my bank ain’t going to fly 
  • Posted

My partner was invited to get a routine colonoscopy last year at the age of 55 no stool testing beforehand needless to say he declined the offer
  • Posted

I will NEVER have another as the sigmoidoscopy I had some 17 years ago felt like someone shoved a small rodent with sharp little claws up my backside and then that little rodent scurried around and around and around and around for what felt like the better part of a day before it could find its way out.  And that was with a sigmoidoscopy, which is like a colonoscopy light.  Never again.  I will NEVER undergo another such barbaric exam.
    • Posted

In fairness you had yours 17 years ago, and medical practices and equipment do improve. Although I do have to say that with my last colonoscopy just over a month ago now, I happened to be alert all the way through it and saw the doctors expression and movements briefly, and the effort he seemed to be putting into the procedure seemed excessive for sliding a tube up my backside. It reminded me of the days when I was a boy on the farm, watching my Dad help cows give birth to their young, a lot of effort and quite brutal at points, that put me off farm work for sure!

Luckily my last colonoscopy came back normal, so I shouldn't have another for quite some time now, and I doubt I'll go through with it if I do have to have another. It's not that bad an experience, but certainly one that I can live without.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.