Colonoscopy worry

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi, I've been having pain in my right lower abdomen for some time now and did some tests and all seem clear. Today I went to a surgeon who tested me and said all feels very normal. Since my dad had colon cancer at 56 he suggested I do a colonoscopy just to make sure there is nothing. I need to wait till the 20th April and I'm already freaking out. Will they tell me immediately after the colonoscopy if something is wrong? I'm 39 with 2 kids and always assume the worst that I have cancer. Please give me any advice you can as to whether I should be panicking so much

0 likes, 37 replies

37 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi ella, try ringing the clinic and asking them if you can  be put up the list, 

explain that you are getting really stressed about it. you could also ask if there is a cancellation  you would come at short notice . 

don't worry too much if you were "(in need ") the wait would not be so long 

We are all here if you want to talk xx

• Posted

Tks for your quick reply! I did ask them to call me if there is any cancellation as I explained that I go crazy with worry. Do you know if they give results immediately? That is something that's worrying me that I will have a long wait after the actual exam.

So if they thought there was something worrying they would have fit me in faster?

• Posted

No prob ,early evening is mail time, so you can usually get me.

and YES, they come and tell you whilst you are having a cup of tea 

and, if there was anything to worry about ,you would have been done by now

Are you going to stop worrying now ???????????????????????????????????????

xx

• Posted

Arghh I wish I could!! I wish my mind would stop thinking there is cancer in my body!! Hopefully they won't find anything then I can relax 😄 I keep telling myself many people do it and it's clear but somehow my brain just insists on telling me the opposite. To make matters worse a friend had one a few months ago and they found a cancerous growth and is now doing chemo 😭
    • Posted

Please don't think that just because someone close has had cancer that you will get it, I had a colonoscopy recently as i lost my youger sister of 59 last April, but I had no problems at all, Don't worry yourself over nothihng, you are doing the right thing, Good luck,
    • Posted

Thanks Jane, so sorry to hear about your sister. it seems wherever I go I keep hearing of young people finding out about their cancer and I lost a good friend to cancer 2 years ago. Just hope I'm worrying for nothing. I guess I was hoping the surgeon would say I wouldn't need anything but I guess you are right I am doing the right thing by checking it out even though I don't know how I'm going to survive the wait till April.
    • Posted

it's only a few weeks, try to take your mind off it by keeping busy with something that interests you.I do understand as I got very anxious too, but afterwards I wondered what all the worry was about and had peace of mind when everything was ok..
    • Posted

Hope I will be able to say the same as you! Tks so much for your encouragement
  • Posted

Hi smile I totally get the panic you're feeling. I'm 38 with two littlies and recently had two pre-cancerous polyps removed from my ascending colon. Fortunately results were benign but the week of waiting for histology was the worst week of my life. Everything changes when you have kids. The idea of cancer seems just too heavy to bear. I'll need colonoscopies for the rest of my life now because the type if polyps I had can and generally do turn into cancer but, in a way, I'm in a better position than a lot of the general public as I'll be monitored regularly. In terms of your pain, it could be a hundred different things. I very much doubt it'll be something sinister, perhaps colitis or diverticulosis with your dad's history? They'll tell you right away if they can see a reason for your pain. They'll probably biopsy a few areas just because of your family history so waiting for that is never fun but they will definitely give you a good idea of what's going on in your tum right then and there. It's such a good thing you're getting this colonoscopy - sadly, colon cancer is one of the most aggressive cancers, BUT also one of the most *preventable* through polyp removal and, if needed, surgery. Good on you for investigating - please keep us updated? I have a feeling you'll be just fine xx
    • Posted

P.s: Try to resist Googling...I did it non-stop for the entire week, looking for hope, and it drove me slightly bonkers... It's good to be informed, but limit the time spent 'researching'. ;-)
    • Posted

Thanks Bea, wow great they monitoring you and true u r lucky that you caught while still pre cancerous. Hopefully il have some good news too and can finally relax. I'm under loads of stress at work which doesn't help too. My gp told me I had ibs about 2 years ago so now I'm even worrying that he misdiagnosed And things have advanced. Why can't my brain ever think anything positive when it comes to health? Grrrr I get so angry at myself. And u r definitely right about googling as all that comes up is colon cancer this or colon cancer that! That's why I opted for here as I know people here are ready to help and see the positive not just negative. My Gynae still insists the pain is from adhesions after appendicitis. Let's just hope I manage to relax for the next couple of weeks.
    • Posted

I get the brain thing - why is there no off switch!?! Just so you know, im a medical typist and I type for both the gastroenterology and gynaecology services. (And oncology, ugh, which is why my brain automatically flies to the worst...). What I've witnessed, time and time again, is that patients are often referred to, say, gastro for full investigation for pain in the abdomen, and it turns out being a gynaecological issue, and vice versa. All of our organs down there are sharing such close quarters, it's easy to assume it's one source of pain, when it's actually another. Let's hope it's just your lady parts bothering you. Xx
    • Posted

As long as it's nothing serious with the lady parts haha my Gynae said all is ok from Gynae part. I just want this to be all over!

I don't blame you for worrying with your job, I think I wouldn't b able to handle it, don't know how you do it 😳

• Posted

Actually, not all colon cancers are agressive.  Many can grow for some 10-15 years, and many actually die of something else anyway, as colon cancer is something that is diagnosed usually in those over 50 years old.  Only 10% of those diagnosed with colon cancer are under 50 years old. 

Yes, agressive cancers are more likely in those who are younger.

Perhaps talking to your GP would be helpful in getting your colonoscopy moved up, and help you to cope with your thoughts.  Ask your doctor if he is just ruling out all possibilities, or if this colonoscopy something he is concerned about.

My child is an adult now, so I know your concern.  You are doing what you can to take care of matters, so there isn't much else to do.

Best of everything.

• Posted

I have asked my dr to move it up but at this point 20th April is the closest unless I go to a private hospital but that will cost thousands of euros which I can't afford. According to the surgeon he suggested the colonoscopy because of my dads history and told me i should be taking this as my first screening. When I asked if I should do it privately to speed things up he told me to wait as there is no rush. But still with this ache in my right side I still worry that they are going to find something.
    • Posted

I hear you. I'm personally paying $2350 at the end of the year to get a repeat colonoscopy to check for any missed polyps. If I want to wait for the health system funded follow-up it'll be three years. Like heck I'm waiting that long! As for you, my gut (no pun intended!) says this ache is nothing sinister. Like someone else said, cancer really only hurts, acutely, in the later stages and you'd most likely be experiencing many more symptoms if your body truly had reached that stage e.g. Change in bowel habit, loss of appetite, bleeding, weight loss etc. You'll be fine. smile
    • Posted

Wow that's expensive. If it were many months away I would go ahead and pay it but since it's in 2 months I have to wait. As you said if it was very urgent I'm sure he would have fit me in earlier

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.