Colonoscopy worry

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi, I've been having pain in my right lower abdomen for some time now and did some tests and all seem clear. Today I went to a surgeon who tested me and said all feels very normal. Since my dad had colon cancer at 56 he suggested I do a colonoscopy just to make sure there is nothing. I need to wait till the 20th April and I'm already freaking out. Will they tell me immediately after the colonoscopy if something is wrong? I'm 39 with 2 kids and always assume the worst that I have cancer. Please give me any advice you can as to whether I should be panicking so much

0 likes, 37 replies

37 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Ella. It is human nature to always think the worse. I remember being 29, two children and in agony. I went to docs and she said she could feel a lump and I would send me for further investigation. I walked away feeling as if she had given me 6 weeks to live and was hoping I'd just get Christmas with my children. As it happened, luckily it was a benign ovarian cyst and I had my ovary removed. For years I had been having pain in my lower left abdomen. No one could tell me what it was even a scan showed nothing. After a few years putting up with this pain, I happened to have severe diorreah ( something I'd eaten) but there was a lot of blood so I was sent for a colonoscopy. They found a small polyp which must have bled due to the runs any way the the polyp was removed and I haven't had the pain since. Coincidence? I don't think so. Try not to worry, I know it's easier said than done especially when you have little ones but more far often than not there is nothing to worry about.
    • Posted

Tks for telling me your experience. I think if I didn't have kids I Wudnt be so worried. I'm worried there is something huge causing this ache but I guess if it was that huge they would be able to feel it .... Wish my mind would stop right now!!!
    • Posted

Well they do say cancer doesn't hurt till it's too late and if that was the case they would have found it. No point me telling you not to worry as like many people you are a worrier, me too. My mum used to tell me when I was a child..' If you worry you die, if you don't you die so why worry' hmmmm then I spent the whole time worrying I was going to die. X
    • Posted

Your mum is right we are still going to die I guess. Just wish it will be of old age and when my kids are independent enough. I wish I was like some who don't worry. Need to keep myself busy till d day arrives

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.