Colonscopies. Experiences?

Posted , 3 users are following.

How many people on here have had one? And if so, whats your opinion ? How did yours go ?I think I may need one but I'm dreading it , as I have a phobia of pipes and tubes being stuck in places they shouldn't. And at 44, it'd be my first ever hospital appointment . Sods law, my first ever hospital appointment would be for something I've a massive phobia of.

Thanks

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi james68516, absolutely no need to worry. The most unpleasant experience will be drinking the large amount of laxative and the many trips to the loo the day before your colonoscopy. Towards the end of this process, you should pass only clear liquid without any solid particles. Your colon and intestines must be squeaky clean to ensure good visibility.

During the procedure you will most likely be sedated and hardly notice any pipes or tubes being stuck in places.

Tip: It will help to prepare a large pot of soup in advance and drink only the strained clear part of it the day before you take the laxative.

• Edited

Thanks for responding .

Did you feel it go in ? Also , did you fall asleep at all whilst its being done ?

This phobia is an issue that stems from childhood .

A friend of mine said the sedation is like when you get so drunk to the point where you drift in and out of consciousness . You can hear and see things but have no idea or care whats going off.

• Posted

Like I wrote, you will hardly notice much and your friends description of what sedation feels like is pretty accurate.

I can only give you practical advice. For example, you could mention while being prepared for the procedure that you are anxious and inquire about sedation options.

• Edited

had a few of these over my time take the injection if they offer it relaxes you doesnt knock you out but there is no pain discomfort and its over very quickly

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.