Colonscopony schedule in August and I'm not much of a liquid drinker / concerned.

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi,

I'm in the US.  I'll keep this short.

I drink water, but not much, when I do.  For the Suprep you drink THREE 16oz. of liquid:  1 being the prep with water, and the next two, are 16 oz. water bottles, over the next hour. 

I tried as a "dry run" just drink half of a 16 oz. bottle of water in 15 minutes last night, and could barely do it.  As a matter of fact, after the 15 minutes was up, I was barely at the half way mark.  It's not just water - we can drink clear liquids, but my issue seems to be the large amount in that small of a time.  (Per instructions).

Does anyone have any suggestions?  I could hardly sleep last night, just from having that half bottle!!  My doctor has prescribed an anti nausea tablet you put under your tongue, 30 min. before you start the prep.

Thank you.

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Try drinking through a straw to help with the gag reflex....i know its difficult but just try to drink as much as you possibly can. I had 4 sachets of KLEENPREP with 4 litres of water..but i couldnt manage the last sachet. It said in the instruction sif my stools were clear and watery after the 3rd sachet i could skip the 4 th sachet. Just drink as much as you can until your stools are clear and watery.. You must cleanse your bowel otherwise they wont be able to see inside the bowel properly andy oull have to go through the whole prep.again!. Most people say the prep is worse than the colonoscopy and their right..good luck!
    • Posted

Hi Dimmy, thanks for the suggestion.  I had planned on definitely using a straw and I'm going to chill it.  I sure wish I could "blink" myself clean!  LOL!  Thanks again.

Beth

• Posted

You mean a colonoscopy right I done it all you do is buy a 238mg. Mirlax and Durcolax tablets take 4 of those and buy 64 oz. of Gatorade trust me it will clean you out it either has too be yellow or just clear then your set to go for your test the prep is worst part the rest is fine it only took mine 20 minutes and I was done I had a good doctor for that though.
    • Posted

Hi Patty,

I actually had someone, just today, tell me they used MirLax and although they did it a little different, they said it was so much easier, than drinking that nasty stuff!  I really appreciate you mentioning not only what you did, but exactly how much you took.  Huge help.  Thank you so much!

Beth

• Posted

Patty,

Just a few questions though:  When you say take MirLax and Dorcolax (take 4 of those) do you mean take 4 Durcolax and drink the Mirlax?  Not sure if I am spelling that right.  And as far as the Gatorade, how long can I take to drink that?  I can't handle much liquid.  Thanks.

• Posted

I never use that RX garbage that they want you to use as it is so nasty I can't gag it down. They told me well we will give you nausea pills and I told them unless it takes the gag reflex away it will not work. They said with my condition it is all I can safely use, but every other colonoscopy that I had I took Gatorade and Miralax. It is so much easier to handle and it tastes good. I have had 8 of these scope tests now and I will never use that salty stuff again. I have never had a complaint that I wasn't cleaned out good, my last doctor was so insistant on me using the salty stuff they wouldn't do a scope unless I used it, so I got a new doctor. You go through enough during these tests, so the least they can do is make it a little less terrible. I have never had a problem using the Miralax prep and I have Crohn's disease, if it is safe for me it is safe for someone that doesn't have it or some other medical condition. Talk to the doctor about the prep, don't wait or they may have to call it off. 

• Posted

Craig, you made me feel so much better.  You really did.  I have the SuPrep on my counter, waiting!  My doctor prescribed nausea pills that dissolve under the tongue.  I've never taken a nausea pill in my life.  I'm just a wimp - but I own that title like a Boss!  Haha!

I don't have any issues; but since everyone else in my family had polyps and my grandfather (mothers father) died from colon cancer in '87, I'm going to TRY to have the test.  I have a first thing in the morning appt., which I wanted!  I have to get up at 2:30 for the 2nd dosage of the prep and I know it's only ONE night, but I dread that so bad. 

Anyway, thank you for sharing your experience with me.  I'm so glad I'm not the only one that has an issue drinking all that water.  For me, 2 16 oz. bottles of water (not to mention the 16 oz. prep you drink) is just too much to physically handle.  Thanks again, Craig.

• Posted

For my first 5 or so colonoscopies i was given PICOLAX ..with this you just disolve it in a cup of water(2 doses)..and then drink 2/4 litres of plain water. This is far better than drinking 2 to 4 litres of water with the bowel prep (KLEENPREP) actually in the water. Next time i`m going to insist on picolax!.
    • Posted

Dimmy, I was searching on the internet and found that the FDA (not sure where you are, but I'm in the US) just approved a new prep drug that is powder and mango flavored.  It won't be available here, until a little later this year, but it's one sachet (mixed with water) you drink that and then ONE 16 oz. bottle of water with it and that is it, for the night.  You do take one more dose but from what I understand, it's 2 sachets and just one more bottle of water and that is it.  Sounds much easier than the Suprep I'm going to attempt to do! 

I'm glad you found something that worked for you.  That is really important. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.