colonscopy

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hiya I'm due to have a colonscopy on Friday and I'm so scared I'm scared of having the prep before hand think it's called moviprep and I'm scared of the day I don't want to be serdated don't like the feeling I'm scared I will have a reaction of the moviprep I'm just so scared anyone had this done without serdation and tips please xx

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi!

My mom is a gastroenterologist so she does many colonoscopies each day! I've also had a colonoscopy so I can tell you it's not bad at all. The prep just makes you go to the bathroom a lot, there aren't many risks associated with it. Also, you can get the procedure done without anesthesia but that would be rather unpleasant... I suggest being sedated. It's a really simple procedure and isn't scary at all smile

• Posted

Oh and Stephanie reminded me, you can get either sedated (where you are very relaxed) or full anesthesia (which is what I had, it puts you to sleep).
  • Posted

Yes Carly, have the sedation.. Had one a month ago and felt pain from the gas they inject in your stomach even with sedation.. I would not advise you to go without, unless you can bear the pain.. It does not put you to sleep though, just relaxes you and you get to snooze for a coupke of hours afterwards..wink

Its very quick, its up to you.. If it is too painful I guess you can always ask for it!

And the stuff before is just like having diarrhea, nothing too bad..

You'll be fine.. Can someone come with you?

• Posted

Hi,

I had a colonoscopy about a year ago, and was pretty anxious about it. The movieprep stuff does make you go and go and go - until you are really exhausted, so no its not pleasant. The colonoscopy itself was fine - and I did opt for the sedation, and after a couple of minutes I felt very relaxed, and watched the procedure on the big screen they had up that the gastroenterologist was watching, and it took about 40 minutes in total, and I actually found it really interesting!   I kept saying things like - 'wow, is that what I look like in there' - and must have sounded like a complete idiot!  My examination was clear, and I had an endoscopy as well - with a sedative.  I would definitely recommend you have the sedative - it does make the experience much better.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.