Colonscopy really worried

Posted , 10 users are following.

I'm in a real mess

I was meant to have a colonscopy 6 weeks ago but cancelled last minute since then stomach pain has got worse and so has nausea. Lost 5kg in 3 months ( got told that is because I'm diabetic and changed my diet) also blood when I wipe which I've been told is piles.

Feel really unwell and I'm petrified it's bowel cancer. After what I've read I am worried it's going to be too painful to have done. I'm really struggling

Why can't they give everyone virtual colonscopy and save the pain

0 likes, 158 replies

158 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Dan

I understand your worries about painful colonoscopy. I had one 6 months ago and I hadn't read up about the potential pain involved so wasn't prepared in the least for it. It was quite a painful procedure, i won't lie to you, but it was over after 30 minutes. The question is - if you don't have it and then you do have something nasty which could be more easily sorted if caught early, then you are opening yourself up to all sorts of more painful and more invasive procedures. So try not to worry about the short-term pain - you will at least know then if something is amiss and they can start treatment if there is. Please don't put it off. It's too important. And actually, many people have very little discomfort, some fall asleep altogether during the procedure, and even if you do have pain, it's actually really interesting to watch the procedure on the monitor. Let me know how you get on. Best wishes

• Posted

Cheers

My fear is I've left it too late

I didn't have stomach pain 6 weeks ago

• Posted

My advice, please don't leave it any later, I have just lost my sister due to bowel cancer and she was told it was piles!
    • Posted

Thank you, after I replied I looked further down the list and realised he had already had it, so that was good!
  • Posted

I can understand that fear. It may be unfounded. And if it's not, then you will be getting the treatment you need. They are making huge steps forward with cancer treatment nowadays - if that's what the outcome is. Remember that other things can cause some or all of your symptoms - like a stomach ulcer - unpleasant but not life-threatening in the same way. Please get it checked out. 
  • Posted

Dan - I had one 3 days ago and with some sedation most people don't feel anything much. I find the doctor's exam more painful. Of course you get nervous. I did too. But the condition you have (if you have one) won't make it any more or less painful generally. A lot of gastric symptoms come from the fear. I had terrible bleeding fifteen years ago and you can imagine what I thought. It was actually a burst blood vessel and nothing to worry about. Weight loss of the amount you have could just be diet or even feeling unwell and not eating. I am diabetic too. My weight varies that much weekly! So get it done and have your mind put at rest. Ask for sedation and bear in mind in the first stage (if you remember anything at all) the first bit feels like pushing but once that is over you usually feel very little. Whatever the problem is, it's better to know and be doing something. And it's probably nothing anyway and you are torturing yourself needlessly. No one likes the test but the fear of it is a hundred times worse than the reality for most people, most of the time. Good luck x
    • Posted

Thanks the stomach pain worries me

When I eat now I feel really unwell and sick with psin. Dr says it's just anxiety but no way

• Posted

Yes, as people have written, it is often an almost painless procedure. Mine was. Some sedation and I was very chatty and found the screen pictures very interesting. I am sure everyone gets nervous, but you have to do it! Keep us up to date. We are all in this together...
    • Posted

P.S. My only colonoscopy was a follow up a year after my bowel cancer surgery. That was discovered from a CT scan and I was in theatre in about 3 hours as it was an emergency. But all is ok so far almost 2 years from the op, including 3 monthly blood tests and another recent CT scan. Why I am telling you this, is that even if they do find something wrong, it can be 'dealt with' successfully in many cases. Again, you really have to find out. As Ethermail (good name!) said, it might be nothing at all to worry about! 
    • Posted

Thanks John

I'm glad you're okay now

Is there any reason why they can't do virtual colonscopy to save this unpleasant procedure?

• Posted

Sorry, can't help you there. Someone will know. Oh, and try not to look things up on the Internet! It can make people worry unnecessarily. Especially in the early hours. 
    • Posted

"Is there any reason why they can't do virtual colonscopy to save this unpleasant procedure?"

​For example / s you can't see the colour of the Colon, take a biopsy or remove a Polyp from a computer screen / MRI smile

• Posted

But if there is nothing to be done as in many cases. You should be able to have the choice, that or a GA as they do in some countries.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.