Coloplast Speedicath Flex Coude Review

Posted , 12 users are following.

As way of background, I've tried just about every catheter on the market but settled on the Coloplast Speedicath FR12 Coude. It combines a very slippery hydrophillic coating (pre-mixed, no packet to break) with enough rigidity that you can basically do a "no touch" cath by holding the catheter in one hand by the plastic funnel and literally dropping it into the meatus of the stretched out penis being held open by the other hand. About the only thing I didn't like about it was that it didn't bend well, meaning you couldn't keep one in your pocket. At least not with the coude model where it's important that the bent tip stays in line.

So along comes the Flex Coude which comes in a little pouch, just meant to put in your pocket. Decided to give it a try.

The samples arrived today but since I don't cath much these days I figured it might be weeks or months until I tried these new catheters out. However, once I opened up the package, I was like a kid in a candy store and just could not wait. Of course the rationale was I was being "proactive" and better preparing for the future.

Since I haven't had to cath for months I am no longer colonized, and while there's nothing wrong with that, everything being equal I'd rather not be. So step one was downing 100mg of Macrobid prophalactively and washing it down with a couple of fried eggs so I would not end up with any stomach issues. 

Next, I hunted around for my supplies, now dusty and hidden behind stuff in the closet. Pulled out some hand sanitizer, Povidone-Iodine Swabsticks, (3 packs), Spray bottle of Vetaracyin and paper towels. I was all set.

Did a small natural void to clear the pipes, sprayed on a littlle Vetaracyn, swabbed on the Providone-Iodine and then sprayed it off with the Vetracyn as Providone Iodine tends to sting sometimes. 

I had ordered FR12's and FR14's and decided to start with the 12's. My hunch was the 12's would be too flexible, so if that was the case, I would then just go right to the 14.

So I opened the pouch and immediately my hand touched the catheter, as I was not used to this packaging. Not good. Threw it away!  

Opened the second FR12 and more carefully removed it, then realizing that I didn't really touch the catheter the first time, what I touched with a plastic sheath that ran the whole length of the catheter. Very un Speedicath like. 

So I stared at this new contraption for a minute and then tried to unwind the catheter which is sort of joined head to toe with a plastic screw on thing. Not as easy as it should be with my now slippery hands, but hey, I'm new with this thing.

So I stared some more thinking I probably should have gone to You Tube or read the instructions first, but to make a long story short I stuck coude end in and began feeding in the rest of the catheter while at the same time trying to keep my penis stretched out. By this time I would have been finished with the Speedicath, thrown it away and downed a beer, but again I'm new with this catheter. 

It finally passed the prostate and I must say it went aound very easy. In fact, this was the first coude catheter -- other than the Speedicath -- that didn't stick into my prostate. That probably had something to do with the fact that this isn't really a coude (bent tip) as we know them. It's more of a flexible little ball, so nothing to stick, no tip to orient. Just push it in any which way!

Past the prostate I'm thinking OK my well is going to blow any second now and probably all over the bathroom because unlike the Speedicath, I'm having a little trouble aiming the other end toward the toilet while still feeding it in. But it went into the bladder, and I did hit the toilet, so a success. Pulled it out in the usual way and went through the disposal process which is screwing the ends back together and stuffing it back in the little packet....

(to be continued)

2 likes, 70 replies

70 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi Jim,  I butt it tight to the head and works a treat, time means nothing to me if it is not sore.  The urine infection is I think from the Prostate and Bladder, but my Dr has been treating me for Thrush for months using washes and steroid creams but it won't go away.

I have to travel every day to hospital for 45 mins to receive IV Antibiotics plus get bloods taken regularly at the Infectious Diseases Dept but they don't want to know about the infection below my foreskin. Never even met one of their Drs before prescribing these A/B's so I don't think I am on the right ones as 18 days out of 28 and still in pain and urine smelling so can't be right, would have expected something by now, only thing improved is I have stopped soaking the bed with sweat at night.  Begin to think Drs know little about Prostatitis.

David

• Posted

If you don't have confidence in the docs, or just need reassurance, a second opinion is always a good idea. Glad the new Speedicath Flex Coude is working out, and I agree that comfort trumps time anytime. Plus we're talking less than a minute diffference anyway.

Jim

• Posted

Jim

Mike here.  I am scheduled for my FLA/BPH next Thrusday.  I know that somewhere I got some information from you about caterters.  I will be a 1st timer, not the expert that you have been.  If I go into big box drug store like Rite Aid or CVS, what would I find and what brand and type might they carry?  I am thinking that once I get home from the procedure and I still have the Foley cath in from Dr K, I will have to take it out and might have to replace it with whatever I might find.  

what are your suggestions now?

By the way, I talked to John tonight and he is in Florida at TPC Sawgrass playing golf.  Good for him, he is doing great.  Another thing I wanted to ask you, that diet that he has been on for over 3 years?  I forgot to ask him.  I think you had a conversation about it with him.  I think that officially, you are now the expert on almost every procedure on the forum, Ha!  thats not a bad thing.    

Hope things are going good.  

Mike 

• Posted

Hi Mike,

I doubt very much you will find any catheters in your local big box drug store. While there are a few places you can get them without a rx online, if you want your insurance to pay then I suggest you call one of the online cath distributors. They will call your doc's office, get the rx from them, check out your insurance and ship you the catheters. There are a whole bunch of them but I'll PM you a name or two.

My suggestion is usually to start with Coloplasts Speedicath FR14 with Coude tip. (FR14 is the size). I'd also get a few FR16's (one size larger) in case you have a problem getting the FR14 past the prostate.

However, there's a new catheter that just came out you might want to try as well. It's the Coloplast Speedicath Flex Coude. I would try FR12 first but have a few in FR14 in case the 12's don't go past the prostate. 

You will also need some antiseptic wipes. Providone swabsticks (3 packs) are good but a bit messy. BZK wipes are an alternative.

That said, depending on what Dr. K. says, you might be better off on a Foley if it's just for a week or two. Self cathing has a little learning curve although most here seem to adapt to it very fast. For me, it was a little slow. 

I do seem to remember a conversation here on the forum with John about his diet but really can't place or remember it now. Maybe he's a vegetarian? Just a guess. 

All the best with your FLA this Thursday! 

Jim

• Posted

Just tried the "pocket" version of the new Flex Coude in FR12. Exact same catheter as the standard version, but the package is smaller because the catheter inside is folded more. Both versions fit into your pocket but the "pocket" version will take up less room.

Didn't go in quite as easy as I remembered it a month ago when I tried the standard, but if I was cathing on a regular basis I'd probably give it more time because of both the portability (fits into your pocket) and the protective sheath that in theory should mean less contamination both from surfaces and air. 

I will add that I missed the toilet at the start of the flow because the technique is different than the one I'm used, so keep that in mind when trying it out. 

So overall, I still prefer the regular Speedicath Coude, but again I have more practice with it. YMMV.

Jim

• Posted

Now wondering if the "Pocket" version wasn't lubed enough or if the lube wasn't distributed evenly. Since I'm not cathing much these days don't plan on testing any more soon, but might open a couple of the packets up and check for that. Hopefully there will be more feedback from others on how they like it. 

Jim

• Posted

In the UK the manufacturers are offering free samples and on contact on 01733 368934 they will offer advice on various sizes and what you can try for various problems. I found the lady most helpful and they advised me if you want a supply sent direct they have arrangements to process prescriptions straight from your Doctor.
    • Posted

Good info for U.K. members.

In the U.S. the manufacturer's also offer free samples. It used to be that you didn't need an Rx for samples, but now you do, at least from those I have contacted. Not sure if this is a legal requirment or medical politics.

You can also get samples from the online distributors which is how most of us get our regular supplies. Both the manufacturers and distributors also have customer service lines where you can get some advice. The Flex Coude is new here, and the "Pocket" verison even newer, so some distributors may not have them yet. 

Jim

• Posted

Coloplast Speedicath Flex Coude FR12 / 17.32 , my personal review :

Almost perfect !!!

What I like :

- Ease of entry past the prostate compared to the Speedicath straight catheter. So easy that a few times I did not feel any resistance at all and was surprised by seeing urine squirting out. I can say it is just as easy as a Speedicath coude catheter, without the bleeding that I often experienced with the coude. In fact, I waited until I tried this Flex Coude 7 times to make sure of this no bleeding.

Disclaimer : I am not part of a Anti-coude conspiracy nor I am part of a group of coude incapables as someone here suggested. I am an experienced self - cathist. What I experienced is real, not fake ... news. smile

- The sleeve gives additional sanitary protection.

- The extra 1.32 in in length.

- More easily to carry around in pockets or small bags.

What I don't like (all minor):

- Because the tubing is so soft (flex), most of the time I don't get to feel where the tip is inside my urethra anymore.

- The tip is more pointy so I feel some mild poking stings when I move in too fast. Compared to the more cutting pain with the coude sometimes, this is nothing. However, the straight catheter tip is so dull and blunt that I never felt any stings whatsoever.

- The cost: one web site vendor is selling this for US $5.18, compared to a straight about US $2 and coude US $3. This higher cost may make some insurance to deny coverage or make copay higher.

Hank

• Posted

Hank,

Glad you finally saw the light and joined Team COUDE smile

Did you try the Standard or Pocket model? Both are exactly identical but the newer Pocket model is folded another time in the package so the package is about half the size of the Standard model making it take less space in your pocket. 

I wrote about my experience in some detail earlier, but in summary I liked it a lot the first couple of times but not so much the last time. That said, I do recommend this catheter as one to try out both because of its unique design, portability and sanitary protection. And, of course because it's a Coude smile  As with all catheters, the best catheter is the one that works best for you as all urethras and prostates are not created equally.

Jim

• Posted

Hi Jim,

I think I have the standard pouch (4in x 8.5in) 28922. Not small enough to fit in a shirt pocket but small enough to fit in my cargo pants and shorts. I do recommend this to newbies since it seems to be the easiest to use overall. Hank

• Posted

The "Pocket" size is about half of that (2.5 x 4.5). Should fit any pocket. Again, same catheter, folded more in package. I would recommend both to newbies (Flex and reg Speedicath Coude) for trial. Not sure why I had a problem with it second go around. It was almost like it wasn't lubed enough. I doubt if it had anything to do with the way it was wrapped (second time I used the pocket size) but you never know. Since I don't really need them now, no more testing for awhile but I'm sure others will chime in with their experiences. BTW I never carry catheters and even when cathing 6x/day was able to schedule most of those caths at home due to my accomodating kidneys and nocturia. But with the pocket version, might make sense to carry on in my pocket now when I will be away from home for prolonged periods, just in case. I do plan on opening up both a pocket version and a standard version soon to check and make sure the lubrication is the same.

Jim

• Posted

PS You can get the standard version down to 4x4 by just folding it although it will be twice as thick as the pocket probably due to the air trapped inside. You could probably make it closer to the size of the "Pocket" by taking it out of the paper wrapping and re-packing it in a plastic baggie with the air squeezed out or even just putting a small puncture into the paper wrapping and squeezing the air out. I don't think it would affect performance or sterility because all that would be exposed would be the outside of the protective sheath. 

Jim

• Posted

I just got it down to 4" x .75" by taking it out of the paper wrapping, folding it, putting on a rubber band, and then wrapping in saran wrap! 

Jim

• Posted

Wow !!! I am impressed how small Coloplast packaged them into the pocket size. They way you like to tinker with things, did you have an engineering background ? Hank
    • Posted

Coloplast Speedicath Flex Coude FR12 / 17.32 , my personal review : Part II

Just did another cath. Remembered 2 more things that I like :

- Even though it is a coude, there is no need to orient the funnel (no marker ). This makes it especially good for newbies.

- At the same size, the urine flow is much stronger than with the regular coude or straight.

Hank

• Posted

Wow. This is one fast Coude conversion. Do you think that together we can now take on "Cartoonman the Straight" smile

Jim

• Posted

Coloplast Speedicath Flex Coude FR14 / 17.32 , my personal review : Part III

I just tried out the FR14 (I tried FR12 before), in both standard and pocket versions, and they work out very well. I am going to order some from my cath distrubutor.

Hank

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.