Coloplast Speedicath Flex Coude Review

Posted , 12 users are following.

As way of background, I've tried just about every catheter on the market but settled on the Coloplast Speedicath FR12 Coude. It combines a very slippery hydrophillic coating (pre-mixed, no packet to break) with enough rigidity that you can basically do a "no touch" cath by holding the catheter in one hand by the plastic funnel and literally dropping it into the meatus of the stretched out penis being held open by the other hand. About the only thing I didn't like about it was that it didn't bend well, meaning you couldn't keep one in your pocket. At least not with the coude model where it's important that the bent tip stays in line.

So along comes the Flex Coude which comes in a little pouch, just meant to put in your pocket. Decided to give it a try.

The samples arrived today but since I don't cath much these days I figured it might be weeks or months until I tried these new catheters out. However, once I opened up the package, I was like a kid in a candy store and just could not wait. Of course the rationale was I was being "proactive" and better preparing for the future.

Since I haven't had to cath for months I am no longer colonized, and while there's nothing wrong with that, everything being equal I'd rather not be. So step one was downing 100mg of Macrobid prophalactively and washing it down with a couple of fried eggs so I would not end up with any stomach issues. 

Next, I hunted around for my supplies, now dusty and hidden behind stuff in the closet. Pulled out some hand sanitizer, Povidone-Iodine Swabsticks, (3 packs), Spray bottle of Vetaracyin and paper towels. I was all set.

Did a small natural void to clear the pipes, sprayed on a littlle Vetaracyn, swabbed on the Providone-Iodine and then sprayed it off with the Vetracyn as Providone Iodine tends to sting sometimes. 

I had ordered FR12's and FR14's and decided to start with the 12's. My hunch was the 12's would be too flexible, so if that was the case, I would then just go right to the 14.

So I opened the pouch and immediately my hand touched the catheter, as I was not used to this packaging. Not good. Threw it away!  

Opened the second FR12 and more carefully removed it, then realizing that I didn't really touch the catheter the first time, what I touched with a plastic sheath that ran the whole length of the catheter. Very un Speedicath like. 

So I stared at this new contraption for a minute and then tried to unwind the catheter which is sort of joined head to toe with a plastic screw on thing. Not as easy as it should be with my now slippery hands, but hey, I'm new with this thing.

So I stared some more thinking I probably should have gone to You Tube or read the instructions first, but to make a long story short I stuck coude end in and began feeding in the rest of the catheter while at the same time trying to keep my penis stretched out. By this time I would have been finished with the Speedicath, thrown it away and downed a beer, but again I'm new with this catheter. 

It finally passed the prostate and I must say it went aound very easy. In fact, this was the first coude catheter -- other than the Speedicath -- that didn't stick into my prostate. That probably had something to do with the fact that this isn't really a coude (bent tip) as we know them. It's more of a flexible little ball, so nothing to stick, no tip to orient. Just push it in any which way!

Past the prostate I'm thinking OK my well is going to blow any second now and probably all over the bathroom because unlike the Speedicath, I'm having a little trouble aiming the other end toward the toilet while still feeding it in. But it went into the bladder, and I did hit the toilet, so a success. Pulled it out in the usual way and went through the disposal process which is screwing the ends back together and stuffing it back in the little packet....

(to be continued)

2 likes, 70 replies

70 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I have been using them for about 3 weeks now so I thought I would add my opinion and experience with the Speedicath flex 12fr

I started CIC about 6 or 7 weeks ago and really struggled with the standard tip cath's getting large amounts of blood.

I soon went to Coude (tiemann in the UK) tip and it was like a night and day difference, so much easier and no blood or trouble getting it through the prostate.

Now I thought I would try the flex, one I like the packaging size and two I like the fact you can't actually touch the sleeve so minimising the risk of infection, something I am having huge problems with atm.

I had some samples delivered and got on quite well with them, slightly more painful to get through the prostate I thought but you soon get used to that, I found slowing right down to get started into the prostate helped loads, another thing I also found was that I struggled sometimes to get through the sphincter, hard to explain but it just didn't want to go no matter how much I tried, removing it very slightly then trying again several times just produced a very small amount of blood from the prostate, but still no joy, I soon found that I needed to push a little more to help the sphincter let it in, whether it's because the tip is smaller so you can feel it more I don't really know, but I soon got on with it OK.

One downside is if you are aiming into a measuring jar they are very flexible and as said above they are a bit of a pain to direct whilst inseting, the only other thing is you need to drain the liquid from them before use, which is no big issue but can drip on the floor if it sways about a bit whilst inserting.

All in all I am happy with them and will be sticking with them for now (if I carry on with CIC), not as easy to insert as a coude (tiemann) but there isn't that much difference, but they are far more convenient imo and are deffinately worth a try.

In the UK it appears Lofric are delivered by Select and Coloplast are delivered by Charter, I have found charter a bit more efficient than Select with ordering on my first exerience with them

Like Jim I also have some 14fr, but haven't found the need to use them as the 12fr works well enough, although it can spray out a bit.

I hope this review is of help to someone.

• Posted

Dear Scraggs,

Many thanks for your interesting and timely post. I found a similar problem when directing the urine stream into the collection jar. In keeping with most plastics these catheters, given half a chance, tend to coil up into their original stored shape.

On the issue of ease of insertion here is a tip which might work for you. The method was submitted by one of our contributors.

The trick is to block the catheter funnel during insertion. Use finger or thumb, or a plug of chewing gum (the latter suggested by one of our most revered advisors). Catheter plugs also work well and are a little more scientific. The practice of blocking the catheter during withdrawal should continue since this is done to eliminate retrograde urine flow.

Try it, you never know. I did and grew so confident that I upgraded my routine catheter size from 16Fr to 18Fr.

Regards, Alan.

• Posted

Hi Scraggs,

I also liked the FLEX ok, but also found the regular Speedicath Coude went in easier.

Given your uti issues, I'd consider going back to the regular speedicath coudes at least for now until your urethra adjusts to the catheters.

It's a tough call because the FLEX has that protective shield which in theory means less chance of contamination, however sometimes best to listen to your body and it sounds like your body (like mine) is telling you it likes the regular hydrophillic coude best. 

As I mentioned in my last post to you, I also had UTI problems early on but they stopped as my body got used to the catheter. I started with the Speedicath Hydrophillic Coude FR14 (U.S. Product code 28494 and then after practice switched to the FR14 (code 28492). 

Jim

• Posted

Hi Alan,

Why did you go up a catheter size? Rule of thumb is to use smallest catheter size that works. Less trauma that way.

BTW the "chewing gum" suggestion was for experimental purposes just to see if plugging the hole made any difference. I don't think I'd recommend this on a daily basis! 

Jim

• Posted

..FR14 (code 28492)...

should be FR12. Out of sardines ? smile Hank

• Posted

Hi, Jim,

By raising this point you made me think, and I am grateful to you for that. Why, indeed? Because the larger catheter proved to be significantly more comfortable! Totally illogical, I know, but as I recall a similar conclusion was reached when we were debating catheter sizes. some time ago.

I think it reminds us that the urethra is a living organ capable of various functions rather than a mere conduit to transport urine from bladder to outside world. I sincerely hope that I am not unwitingly traumatzing my urethral epithelium in some way.

Please let me know if you would like a more detailed explanation which I would be happy to send you in a PM; I don't want to be thrown off this forum a second time!

Warm regards, Alan.

• Posted

Hi Alan, 

I do remember previous conversations and your case is the exception and not the rule. In general, unless otherwise medically advised, it's best to use the smallest size catheter that will work. For most men this would be FR14 or 12. Larger sizes are generally used only for stricture opening or if the smaller sizes (in a coude) won't pass around the prostate.

Jim

Jim

• Posted

Anyone else get an email from Coloplast saying that the new FLEX coude may have classification problems with regulators which could result in insurance issues and/or discontinuation of the product? 

Jim

• Posted

Hi, Jim,

I got a letter dated July 13, 2017 from their marketing director, Sergei van Gorkum warning that an organization tasked with recommending classification of medical devices had made a determination to reclassify the Coloplast's SpeediCath Flex Coude catheter to a different reimbursement classification.

This was the result of "another manfufacturer" contesting a reimbursement decision made in November, and could impact product deliveries to me.

Your e-mail suggests an entirely different situation, and a potentially more serious one. I am going to dig a little deeper and see what I come up with. My own view is that this is a neat product and it will be sad if it were to become the target of a commercial or industrial war.

Can you safely forward the e-mail to me?

I will be more than happy to keep you infrormed of what I find.   

Regards, Alan.

• Posted

I'll PM you later today. It sounds like some group is challenging the "coude" classification, possibly because it isn't a traditional coude.  Without that classification, Coloplast won't be able to charge the insurance companies extra for the FLEX like it does with other coudes. If they can't charge extra, then I guess they will have to reevaluate if the manufacturing costs warrant continuation.

Jim

• Posted

I told you so. The Flex is a straight. It is too good to be a coude. smile Hank
    • Posted

Are you a regulator or lobbyist? "Coude" is part of its name, shoudn't that be proof enough smile

Jim

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.