Combination of medication - need advice

Posted , 6 users are following.

I have been suffering from anxiety and depression. I am currently taking the following medication: fluoxetine 60mg, quetiapine 600mg, promethazine 50mg twice a day, clonazepam 0.5mg twice a day, zopiclone 7.5mg.

I am concerned about the high level of medication. Am currently under the crisis team as took an overdose, but should be referred to the community mental health team very soon.

I want to go back to work. Thoughts, please?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

If you are prone to overdosing you won't be working straight away.  You have to take the advice from a Dr
  • Posted

Did your docs explain what each med was for?  If not, look each one up to see what they are for.  Promethozine is for nausea.  Are you having so much nausea that you need to take it twice daily?  Please try to be proactive in your care and ask a lot of questions from the docs.  I think too many of them write scripts without thinking of the side effects they have on you, each other and the foods you eat.  Even taking clonazepam twice daily is strange.  That should be used when you are having the anxiety, not just bec the docs said do it.  Please take care of yourself and never take drugs unless you research them and their side effects first.  Good luck.  I hope you get better soon. 😎
  • Posted

I agree with the others... be very careful of any type of anti-nausea and anti-psychotic med. Both have the potential to cause quite serious side effects. I don't want to scaremonger, but I got a drug induced movement disorder from taking an anti-psychotic for anxiety that I wasn't warned about the side effects... also not being in a fit state to be more proactive about my health at the time, meant it was just something I took as my doctor told me to, and I was desperate for some relief from anxiety at the time.

Looking back, I wish I had been more careful. I was taking a cocktail of meds too including diazepam and zopiclone, but knew what they did and the side effects they had.They certainly seem mild now in comparison to the anit-psychotic... :-(

Take care.

• Posted

As much as you want to go to work I would recommend you follow the advice of your care team. Taking an overdose is quite serious and you must be really struggling with your anxiety and depression. I too am on a cocktail of drugs including quetiapine, venlafaxine, diazepam and propanol. They are keeping me stable (some days) and I feel I need to be on them as my depression and psychosis would be intolerable without them. If you are concerned by the amount of meds you're on, express this to your doctor and ask exactly what they are all for. Take care of yourself, Ben
  • Posted

You need help from the pharmacist. Do the drugs interact. Which are most important? Can you be more watchful with less different medicines. Can some medicines be as needed. ?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.