Combined mini-pill

Posted , 2 users are following.

I’ve recently been put on the combined mini-pill and I am having some problems that I hope you can advise me on. I’m am nearly 32, don’t smoke, and am in good health. 

Whilst I have been on the pill, I have a very heavy and long period, then a week later have another heavy and long period. I seem to bleed most of the month. Then I don’t get a period for another two months. I’ve also experienced bad cramps at the beginning of each period. 

Before prescribed the pill, I suffered some cramps, but not as bad as this. Also my period was much lighter and didn’t last as long. 

Is this normal? Has this happened to anyone else? 

I am reluctant to go on different contraception but would like opinions on what is available other than the IUD and coil. 

Many thanks. 

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Your body chemistry is unique to you. The Pill comes in hundreds of different formulas.  Each formula has big fans with wonderful stories and horror stories told by women with seething hatred. 

There is the perfect pill for you. Someday genetic testing will make that best match on the first try. Until then you have two choices. Trial and error and luck, or detailed notes given to your medical professional. 

The exact name of the pill you tried is critical. You don't want to repeat a bad experience. And, blaming the wrong formula leads everyone the wrong way. It's like being a rat in a maze with no cheese.

The big hudle: SYNONYMS. There isn't just one generic name and one brand name. Each formula has hundreds of names around the world. One country can have a dozen names for that single formula.* 

Progestogen and estrogen both come in many forms and strengths. Someone blames estrogen for a bad experience, which one? Was it the Pill with maximum strength of that estrogen or minimum strength. 

I wish you the very best of luck, and health.

*synonyms

U.S. Generic: norethindrone, Progestin-only Pill (POP)

U.K. Generic: norethisterone, Progestogen-only Contraceptive Pill (POCP)

Nickname: Mini-Pill

Brand Names: US

Aygestin

Camila

Deblitane

Errin

Heather

Jencycla

Jolivette

Lyza

Nor-QD [DSC]

Nora-BE

Norlyda

Norlyroc

Ortho Micronor

Sharobel

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.