come off citlopram week ago

Posted , 8 users are following.

Come off tablets week ago now after going from 30mg to 20mg then to 10mg then Dr said could stop if felt ready too.Saturday I felt really on edge shouting at kids,hubby no real reason.then yesterday my head been dizzy not really with it very tired could not settle last night burning up weird dreams/feelings.Today head funny,very tearful,very tired.Do I just try keep on with out going back on them? My Hubby said which not much help maybe you should go back on your happy pills

0 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Maybe you should give it a little more time until your body chemistry settles and maybe you'll start to feel better.  Anti depressant meds can be tricky and require some patience in starting and stopping before you feel better.  Sometimes other short term meds can help with symptoms.  Hang in there for a little while.  If then you don't feel better see your dr and perhaps come up with some alternative.  These things require patience and perserverance.
  • Posted

When I came off these I took months to withdraw as did it real slow, with my last dose being 5mg, and I still got some withdrawl symptoms.

Yes you're having withdrawl symptoms, which will ease off it time.  I was very weepy when I came off them and would cry at anything sad or happy, and was irritable too for a while.   The weirdest thing I had was little brain zaps, not unpleasant, just odd, and I had a headache and slight nausea too.  Brain zaps and weepiness lasted the longest.

It will wear off in time, it's your body acclimatising, but maybe go see your doctor as he could maybe prescribe something to help during this time?  Other than that, it's a matter of riding it out.

K x

• Posted

Maybe you need to discuss it with your GP and then decide. Or maybe they could give you something to help you while you come of them.

My GP is just changing me from citalopram to sertraline.

• Posted

Hi there Stephanie.  So sorry to hear you are having this woes coming off the medicine.  I am also withdrawing from the Celexa at this time.  I gave been on 40mg for over 10 years.

i am quite lucky that I a don't have little kids or a family yo take care if while dealing with the withdrawal symptoms. I am also retired....so, when I am irritable, I have a lot of space to deal with it without lashing out at others.

I feel badly that you have to take others into consideration while suffering through this.

i remember when I quit smoking back in 1998.  It was soooooo hard.  This withdrawal reminds of that.

It us such a personal decision for you to decide if you can plow through the brain zaps and severe irritability until it gets better.  Last time I tried to come off the Celexa I last 3 months.  I cried like 24 hours a day ......I eventually couldn't take it any more.  I had to go back on.  It was just way too much for me to handle at the time.

I am going to do everything I possibly can this time to get through this....I am gonna try my best.  I plan on eating well,getting good rest and definitely exercising. Also, I am taking vitamins, fish oil and I am reading about others' experiences.

i am really rooting for you.  Be good to yourself........and just realize that it is going to be difficult....I mean, that is a given.......so accept that and try to get in a certain mindset that you can overcome this temporary withdrawal symptoms.  Fight through it as hard as you can.  

A lot lot of people say to go really, really slowly with the tapering.....

Keep us posted.

Everyone that contributes here is helping us all to learn and get ideas and support from each other.

• Posted

Hi Stephanie,

Sorry to hear you are feeling that way.

I've read on here that you've been on for 4 years, could you give us an idea of the tapering schedule that you followed? The longer you've been on the meds, the longer you should have been tapering, and also reducing your doses in smaller increments (i.e. not jumping from 30 mg to 10 mg in the space of weeks)

• Posted

So been nearly 2 weeks now off pills still getting dizzy. Head,tearful & bit snappy
    • Posted

Hi Stephanie,

It's normal to still feel withdrawal effects even 2 weeks after stopping. Sorry to hear that, but things will start to get better.

I asked you on this thread 4 days ago about the tapering schedule you followed, this would help us help you more.

• Posted

I did try to reply before I was on 30mg,then 20mg was on 20mg for a while before then going down to 10mg I was on 10mg for about 2-3 months before I stopped Dr said was ok to do this said was not much point going 1 every other day etc.
    • Posted

Yeah, the every other day thing doesn't really work I've heard.

Looks like you tapered over a decent period of time, but you probably should have tapered in smaller increments, and made your last dosage lower than 10mg so your body could get used to being with smaller levels of Cit.

For example, I went 30-20-15-10-5-2.5 over the course of 4 months, and I was on 2.5 for about 2 weeks before stopping a month ago. I still have some withdrawal effects but I feel I'm getting over the hump slowly.

• Posted

What withdrawal effects did you get? Glad your getting their slowly how long was you .on them for?
    • Posted

I was on Cit for about a year. 4 months I tried cold turkey and faced hell on earth, so I went back on them. 3 months later I decided to taper off very slowly.

I've actually kept a diary of the Cit withdrawal effects which I'll share on this forum one day. Main withdrawal symptoms are irritability, indigestion, heartburn, some difficulty sleeping, but overall the symptoms have been mild. I have been taking Wellbutrin to tackle the depression during the withdrawal phase, but in a month or so I will taper off that too.

• Posted

Are you saying maybe in a couple weeks I might feel better?!?!
    • Posted

I'm sure you will, but maybe if you give us a bit of your case history we can guide you better......
    • Posted

Sure I will give you some history!  In January I started having problems staying asleep.  Instead of addressing what I really was going through - Everyone diagnoised me with depression!  2/19 got put on Effexor with Temezapan to sleep.  Right away I was a mess tried to stop the chemical but was told by everyone you got to give it time.  Went to see mt PCP on 3/11 she changed me to citalopram keeping the temezapan to sleep.  Right away I had heartburn, anxiety, racing thinking and maybe only 2 to 3 hours of sleep (not the good kind of sleep either). Each day was worse than the day before - NEVER in my life have I thought about ending it - I have a wonderful life before the chemicals.  3/20 went from 20 mg citalopram to 15 for 5 days, then 10 for 5 days.  Been off citalopram for 6 days, off Temezapan for 5 days.  Yesterday day was a challenge, I am not understanding what is  going on around me.  I have lost my happiness, joy, understanding.  I am hoping to get that back soon.  Going to see a sleep doctor tomorrow that does NOT believe in taking a pill!!  I am so hoping to get my old prior to pills self back.  I can't get help on how to quit so I just winged it.  I now have support of NO pill to Fix what wasn't broken.  Everyone also sees the health risks I am now have!
    • Posted

Hi,

Firstly I'm sorry to hear you're experiencing that. Medical professionals are all too quick to prescribe medication rather than trying to get at the root of the problem. Yoga and breathing techniques could have helped you with your insomnia even.

Anyway, it seems that you are reeling from post-benzodiapene usage, and also the fact that you went off the meds too quickly. They can be habit-forming even after relatively short duration of use, such as in your case.

Going cold turkey off these meds usually cause withdrawal side-effects. I think if you don't sense some kind of improvement over the next 2-4 days (since I stopped taking my meds I am keeping a diary to track my withdrawal symptoms, this might help you) you may want to speak to another psychiatrist about how best to taper off the medication. Hopefully it won't mean having to go back on them for a period of time.

In the meantime try holistic methods to keep healthy; lots of water, good diet, breathing, daily exercise, herbs and vitamins. Also, just know that everything is temporary. This is just a phase that you wil get through, and you will surely be back to your normal self soon!

• Posted

Thank YOU!  I have been keeping a journal since I started all this - really gotten into detail.  I hope to look back at it someday and maybe use it to help someone else.  I am taking care of myself the best I can. l Trying to eat at all is a real challenge - I have lost my desire, enjoyment for everything so food is even one.  Meditation is a biggy for me last couple weeks I lost my ability to get relaxed enough for my brain to shut down.   
    • Posted

I'm glad to hear. You sound like you're on the road to recovery. As Chaucer said 'Patience is a conquering virtue'!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.