coming back to Zoloft

Posted , 4 users are following.

I started on zoloft about a year ago, the 50 mg and slowly worked my way up to taking 3 50mg a day. After a while I stopped, stupid of me I know, its been months since I've stopped and I want to go back. I can't consult the therapist who prescribed them to me anymore so I don't know if I should start on one pill or immediately go to three.

1 like, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

I've done the same as you, but haven't gone back on them yet due to anxiety over starting. Vicious cycle. Personally, I wouldn't jump to the full dose right away. That would really shock your body. When doctors start you on it, or take you off of the meds, it's typically slow and steady. Perhaps that would be helpful until you can see a different therapist or doctor.

• Posted

I think Psyched out is right if you are determined to self medicate and start back on your own.. do not jump to high dose!! If you still aren't sure, wait until you see someone.

Also, If you are thinking of taking meds that have been on the shelf for months, re think that. You don't know what changes have happened to them in the bottle, and....you don't know what changes have happened in your body. Make a good decision, be well, and make sure to keep in touch, Dana.

• Posted

Yeah I thought so. I am hesitating to start medication without consulting my therapist

the reason I want to start now is because I have my senior presentation soon (like a week from now) and the stress of it is causing severe anxiety. I don't want to mess it up so I thought I'd go back to zoloft but I don't know if it will even kick in within a week or if the sideeffects will be bad.

what do you think?

• Posted

If you can't talk to your old therapist, talk to someone else. Is there another therapist in the same office tthey were in? Was it a clinic? If no possibility of that , what about your pharmacist. You need to ask a professional about this. You mentioned your senior presentation, so I assume you are in high school. Do your parents know how you feel and what you want to do?  When you answer, I might be able to help more. I certainly see why you want be be "smoothed out" for a big event like that. Looking forward to hearing from you.

• Posted

I go to the psychiatry department of a hospital. Its the closest thing to good therapy there is in my country. My old therapist quit and I'm scheduled with a new therapist but the problem is that he's booked for the next month. The hospital hasn't been helpful.

I'm not in highschool, its my college senior presentation. Its this big event where I stand infront of a jury of my professors and other college's professors and present my project in detail sort of like a graduation project. I don't know if that made sense. so you can see why I'm sort of freaking out.

• Posted

I do indeed understand. i get the situation. I am not qualified to prescribe a course of action, however, I am qualified to give my opinion. In your situation, I would start on the old meds starting low, You have to judge how fast to go up. Keeping in mind your past experience with this drug, you will have an idea how many days to wait before you go up. I would start today.

Whether on meds or not, look up controlled breathing so you have a "tool" to use just before you present. That controlled breathing has helped many a public speaker. The very best to you, and congratulations. Keep in touch when you need a boost. Someone is almost always on line and you may contact me privately if you need to. Click on the little envelope, and you may put your message there. I will keep an eye out for you. You will do great, I just know it. Deep inside, you know it, too.wink

• Posted

I took a pill now and I'm gonna try not to increase until I see the new therapist.

Thank you so much for being so kind and patient. You don't know how helpful you have been. Thanks again

• Posted

You are very welcome, Dana, and I thank you for the lovely complement. I am very glad I could help. Let us know how it goes.
    • Posted

Hello, I'm back. Just wanted to let you know that I was anxious during the presentation and made a few mistakes but all went well and I'm now officially done with college. Again, thank you so much for your help

• Posted

Hooray for you,biggrin Dana, and congratulations. I can't tell you how proud of you I am for standing up there and doing what you had to do. That type of thing is difficult for everyone, and especially for you....and you did it!!!! Be sure to let me know how you are doing, and come here anytime...for a boost, or maybe to help someone with a similar challenge?

• Posted

Yes work your way up. Oh you people who go off them, like a miracle has happened and you won't need them anymore. Just call your family doc and they are more than qualified to get you squared away.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.