Coming of mirtazapine 15mg

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi everyone I've been on 15mg of mirtazapine for 4months now and although they have massively helped me they have cause me to gain 2 stone ! 😱 And are making me so tired , after speaking with my doctor we have decided to take me off them , I'm starting 7mg from tonight for 2 weeks then straight off them , I've decided not to go on another anti depressant and to see how I go alone , has anyone done similar to this and can offer some advice I'm not going to lie I'm terrified that I'll end up anxious and I'll again during the stages of coming off them but I know I need to , also did anyone gain a lot of weight and did them manage to loose it once of mirtazapine x

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Rebecca

Ive been on Mirtazapine 45mg and 225mg venlafaxine slow release tablets for over a couple of years now , and I've piled on the pounds I've tried to cut down on what I eat but it's very hard as I seem to always be hungry.

Prior to this I was very very depressed and all the Meds I was prescribed didn't work, so I saw a different psychologist who put me on mirtazapine and it didn't work either so after several months I called his secretary to ask for another appointment. This time he added venlafaxine to my meds, when my gp  gave me the prescription I went straight to my chemist and collected the tabs.

Well after 3 days of taking the two meds I awoke one morning and I can only describe the feeling that the light had been switched on in my head, I spent the rest of the day doing jobs around the house that I'd loaved to do before, and I had so much energy it was like I was back to my old self again.

All I can say Rebecca is yes I've put on weight but I'd rather be where I am now than back in that black hole some years ago.

Take care. x

• Posted

Hi. I've neen on 15mg for 8 years and am finally coming off. I've been taking 7.5mg for the last two weeks. My plan Ina 7.5mg for a month. Then cut that in half so 3.75mg for a month. Then 3.75mg every other day for a month. Then off. Some people have said reduce by 10% but that's hard to do with a pill...  anyway so far I'm fine except sleep. I wake up multiple times at night and early. My question is - does this pass? Before the depression that caused me to go on the drug occurred in 2009 I slept fine. While depressed I didn't. Then mirtazapine was like a god send as obv it has sedation properties and to be honest it's been one of the reasons I've stayed on. But I too put on weight and believe it's now time to come off. 

I guess my question is - will and when my sleep patterns return to normal? Apart from the sleep I've had no other side effects. 

How are you getting on Rebecca?

• Posted

Hi 

I did 7.5mg for two weeks . And cut down to 3.5mg on Monday , the second week in I felt really sick and tired , the only side effect I'm feeling at the moment is a terrible headache it's all round my eyes and the back of my head , almost feels like a mild electric shock at times , my vision is also slightly off think it's due to the headache .

I haven't had any issues with sleep so far but I am dreading that coming ! I've always been a good sleeper even in the peaks of my anxiety so hoping I won't struggle to much

Over all I'm feeling pretty positive nothing to bad do report and I'm 100 percent sticking this withdrawal out I know it's the right thing for me to do .

What mg are you down to now ? I was think of doing 3.75mg for two weeks then possibly every other night for 2 weeks ? 

How are you Getting on 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.