Coming of of 20mg-30mg valium a day for 4 months

Posted , 3 users are following.

Four months ago I asked my dock for a scrip of valium for insomnia, as I cantr take sleeping pills. I am now ready to stop using these things as I am very scared of the withdrwal and physical dependence that may occur. Some days I only take 10 mg, others 20mg, and on occassion 30MG.  As said I am petrified of the withdrawl. I just joined the group and was wondering if someone could give me some feed back with regards to what I am in for. I see my doc on the 3rd of Nov. and am going to ask for a tapper schedule and gradual reduction in dosage. I chose valium over xanax because I heard it was easier to withdraw from, appartly I was mistaken.  Any comments would be appreciated.

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

HelloMike

I take at least 20mg a day and have done for 30 years .I was always to scared to withdraw so choose to stay on them .Hope you get the help you need .You haven't been on them for long so hopefully it won't be too bad

Liz

• Posted

Hi Liz,

I feel the same as you, been on large doses of a few for 1o yrs and have tried several times and went thru hell too scared to try again, although here in Australia they are just stopping patients which makes it very hard.  I agree on what you have said with Mike 4  months he should do it NOW and wont be too bad.  Best now than later I say.

Hope your well hard to find people who understand the nature of this drug and addiction thru no real fault of our own but trusting doctors in the first place.

You take care

Nicola

• Posted

Hi Mike

I've been on Valiium and Xanax for around 8 years and I've gone thru hell stopping them once cold turkey put me in hospital but dont be scared you have only been on them for 4 months, I have learnt alot and hope this helps, If you want to come off make sure your doctor understands you must do a very slow reduction the slower the better as the brain and body has to re wire it self and will minimise the withdrawals also everyone is different your experience may not be as bad as mine.  People may say thats a large dose but in the scheme of things 19-30 really isnt.  If you feel your doctor will want to quickly reduce you which they do here in Australia, get some up your sleeve so you can slow reduce although it is better if a doc can help because your mind can play tricks on you and you need to be strong to stick to a plan.  Im no doc but feel i no more thru experience.  I would applaud you to take the step now and dont be in the same position 10 yrs down the track it will be so much harder.  Remember only 4 months I feel you will be ok, let me know how your going or any questions you may want to ask.  Im here for you mate,your not alone, remember that.   take care drink lots of water and try and eat.  All the very best  Nicola

• Posted

Hello from the USSA

so I went to my. Doctor on the 3rd and kicked down to five milligrams. He says this Valium will take 4-5 months to withdraw from. Which is amazing to me as a schedule 4 drug ( refer to US controlled substance act ) is supposed to be safer and have less addiction liability than more addictive drugs like oxycodone and morphine. I have taken pain killers for months at a time and never faced these types of potential withdrawl symptoms. 2 weeks of dope sickness then your done. Roche must have had some serious lobbyists way back when in order to have this drug regulated as it is. Thanks for all the replies and encouragement my Euro friends.

Mike

• Posted

Yes

It's utterly unbeilevable what these drugs have done to so many people round the world, given as a cure all drug to begin with and just kept handing them out not knowing the effects and withdrawals.  We are the people they tested these Drugs on and we are the ones that have to pay with out sanity and lives just so they now can find out what they do to you.   In the U.S.A  Class actions are being taken against large pharmacuticle companies due to the addiction caused by these drugs and given to patients freely by doctors getting free samples and receiving kick backs to keep them going, making them Rich.  So many lives ruined and a long dark path to an even half normal life again when one wants to come off or older patients that are forced to come off.  I do believe even though these horried little pills should not be prescribed anymore to new patients.  Exsisting long term patience should be treated with care and respect and a level of comfort.  Which here in Australia they dont really want to do, just want to cut you off causing so many suicides and deaths in general.   Good luck to all.   From personal experience coming off hight levels of Morphine, methadone was so much easier than coming of these drugs and that is saying something.   Wishing you all health.  Nicky

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.