Coming off after a month on 10mg

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi, I've been taking citalopram for just over a month at 10mg. At first it was great but then the side effects set in and now I feel permannenty physically tired and very groggy in the morning (I atke it at night). It's a real shame as I was very fit before my little melt down that sent me to the GP's and this helped with my mood swings. Now I feel low as my firness is fading and this was something thatw as actually going right for me. Anywho, I am going to see my GP next week but in the meantime I'm going to stop taking it. She is going to suggest something else for me but I really don't want to take medication and want to try more natural remedies plus exercise. I always get low in winter and perk up as spring arrives so all year round meds is not the answer I think. Am I being reckless? After only a month surely withdrawal won't be so bad?

2 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Charlotte,

I have the same thing for about six weeks, tired ,felt sick , no sleep, but is week thirteen , and i feel great just how i use to to. This takes quite awhile to work , so so glad i stuck it out. Good luck with your decision. x

• Posted

Hurried withdrawal is never a good idea regardless of how long or how short a period you have been taking medication. Taking it every other day until you get back to the doctors. Did you tell her about your mood swings. i.e. feeling better in summer and worse in winter.  You could be suffering from Bipolar Disorder, which comes and goes but you need regular medication to keep you balanced.  Getting plenty of fresh air, wether it be winter or summer.  I personally walk on average 4 miles a day and I can recommend it. Wait until you see the Doc before you do anything rash. Gwen
    • Posted

Thanks. My symptoms prior to meds were quite mild compared to others experiences on here. However I will do alternate days dosing until I see GP. X
  • Posted

Exercise def worked for me and i beleive excellorated my reduction in withdrawal from Cit!

• Posted

Hi, I took mine at night and it was a total disaster, my GP said to switch to the morning and after a week of side effects I am starting to get back to normal, I have avoided caffeine drinks and started some relaxation techniques and I am not cured but I'm battleing on not to bad, hope this helps
  • Posted

Well it's day 4 or 5 of not taking any citalopram and it's not been so bad. Odd dreams, very vivid but one involved me and Benedict Cumberbatch so not unhappy about that!. Sweating at night, tummy aches again and loss of appetite, basically all the symptons you get when you start, you get when your stop suddenly. I have replaced it with vitamin D and evening primrose supplements, swimming and walking and will be trying "tumeric milk" a traditional remedy for depression and poor sleep. I have felt a little anxious and nervous but have just told myself not to worry it will pass and to believe in myself and not worry about every little thing. I am seeing the GP on Thursday and she won't be pleased I've gone cold turkey but hopefully will be supportive of my "alternative" approach to mamaging my anxiety and low mood. She may suggest alternative medication but spring is almost here and my mood always improves with the seasonal changes. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.